THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This Christmas Ham recipe with Cherry Ham Glaze is the perfect main dish for your holiday feast. The tart cherry glaze is slightly spiced and it compliments the roasted ham beautifully.
This is my favorite way to prepare ham; simply roasted with a homemade tart cherry ham glaze that’s lightly spiced with cinnamon and cloves. My family goes nuts for this Christmas Ham recipe.
How to make Christmas Ham with Cherry Glaze:
STEP ONE: First, place the ham cut-side down inside of a plastic oven bag which you then place in a roasting pan. After cutting three slits in the roasting bag, bake the ham for about 160-200 minutes.
STEP TWO: Next, make the cherry ham glaze. Make sure to whisk often while making the glaze.
STEP THREE: Once the ham reaches 100 degrees F, remove it from the oven and increase the oven temperature. Brush the ham with ⅓ cup of the cherry ham glaze and place the ham back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Finally, take the ham out of the oven and brush it with another ⅓ cup of the cherry ham glaze. Mix the remaining cherry glaze with ham juice to make the sauce. Slice the ham and pour the sauce over it when serving.
How do you cook a Christmas ham?
I like to cook my Christmas ham inside of a plastic roasting bag. I find that it keeps the ham nice and moist, and it even intensifies the flavor of the ham a bit. After the ham reaches an internal temperature of 100 degrees F, I roll down the oven bag, brush the glaze over the ham, and bake until the glaze is sticky.
How long do you cook a precooked ham?
Precooked hams will take about 20 minutes per pound in a 250-degree oven to reach an internal temperature of 100 degrees F. So if you have a 10-pound ham, then the ham will take approximately 200 minutes to cook/reheat.
How do you make a Christmas ham glaze?
First, pour the cherry juice and vinegar into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, this will take about 4-6 minutes.
Then, whisk in the brown sugar, cherry preserves, pepper, cinnamon, and cloves and cook, whisking often, until the mixture is thickened and reduced to about 1 cup, this will take about 7-10 minutes.
Cook’s Note – Christmas Ham with Cherry Ham Glaze:
- If cherry isn’t your thing, try using orange juice instead of cherry juice and orange marmalade instead of cherry preserves.
How much will this Cherry Glazed Ham recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $11.46
PER SERVING COST: $1.15
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 10 pound spiral-sliced bone-in half ham – $8.40
- 1 large plastic oven bag – $0.55
- ½ cup cherry juice – $0.64
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar – $0.52
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar – $0.44
- ½ cup cherry preserves – $0.73
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper – $0.07
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon – $0.01
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves – $0.10
What do you eat with Christmas ham?
I have a few favorite Side Dishes to recommend that you eat with this Christmas Ham to complete your meal.
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Aunt Nancie’s Sweet Potato Souffle
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower
- Bacon & Apple Stuffing
- Butternut Squash
- 3-Cheese Potatoes Au Gratin
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Green Bean Casserole
Christmas Ham with Cherry Ham Glaze
FOR THE HAM:
- 8 - 10 pound spiral-sliced bone-in half ham, defrosted
- 1 large plastic oven bag
CHERRY HAM GLAZE:
- ½ cup cherry juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup cherry preserves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
COOK THE HAM:
- Move the oven rack to the lowest position and preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Remove the ham from its plastic wrapping and discard the plastic disk that is covering the ham bone. Open the plastic oven bag and place the ham, cut-side down, inside of the bag. Place the ham cut-side down inside of a roasting pan. Cut 3 slits into the top of the roasting bag. Bake the ham until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the ham reaches 100 degrees, about 160-200 minutes.
MAKE THE CHERRY HAM GLAZE:
- While the ham comes up the temperature, pour the cherry juice and vinegar into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, this will take about 4-6 minutes. Whisk in the brown sugar, cherry preserves, pepper, cinnamon, and cloves and cook, whisking often, until the mixture is thickened and reduced to about 1 cup, this will take about 7-10 minutes. Set aside.
FINISH THE HAM:
- Once the ham reaches an internal temperature of 100 degrees F, remove it from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Roll down the sides of the plastic oven bag and brush the ham with 1/3 cup of the cherry ham glaze. Return the ham to the oven and cook until the glaze is sticky and slightly darker in color, about 10-15 minutes. If you find the glaze hard to spread, then reheat the glaze to loosen it.
- Take the ham out of the oven and transfer it to a carving board, reserving the plastic oven bag. Brush the ham with another 1/3 cup of the cherry ham glaze, and then let the ham rest for 10 minutes. While the ham rests, mix the remaining cherry glaze with 4-6 tablespoons of ham juice from the roasting bag to make a pourable sauce.
- Carve the ham, place the slices on a platter and serve with the cherry ham sauce.