This Bacon Apple Stuffing recipe will make the flavors of your Thanksgiving turkey sing! It’s delicious, so flavorful, and always a crowd pleaser.
Thanksgiving Dinner: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, butternut squash, mac and cheese, green beans, harvest salad, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, and…and…hmmm…what am I missing? Oh yeah, the BACON! I love putting bacon in my recipes, it makes me happy. I’ve had stuffing with sausage before, but stuffing with bacon is most definitely where it’s at; golden, crisp, little nuggets of bacon. It makes stuffing go from stuffing to STUFF-ING! 🙂
Thanksgiving stuffing is one of those side dishes that I look forward to each year. My favorite part of stuffing is those brown toasted bits…YUM! What about you? What’s your favorite thing about stuffing?
Cook’s Note – Bacon Apple Stuffing:
- You can make this recipe ahead of time. Just prep the recipe through step 6, and then cover the stuffing with plastic wrap and chill it until you’re ready to cook it. You will need to add 10 minutes to the cooking time.
- Leftover will keep, covered in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days.
- You can easily swap out the bacon in this recipe herbed pork sausage. Just make sure you cook up half of a pound and leave the dripping in the pan to cook the onion and apple in!
- Instead of cooking this Bacon Apple Stuffing in a 9×13-inch pan, you can use it to stuff the turkey with while it cooks.
Cook’s Tools & Ingredients – Bacon Apple Stuffing:
ONE YEAR AGO: Soft Centered Fudge Cakes
TWO YEARS AGO: Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
THREE YEARS AGO: Honey Kissed Pumpkin Cake
Bacon Apple Stuffing
- 8 ounces bacon chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium celery ribs
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tablespoon fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh marjoram leaves
- 12 ounce package Seasoned Stuffing
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Adjust oven rack to the center position and heat the oven to 350˚F.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp and brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the celery, onion, and apple to the same skillet the bacon was cooking in (don’t drain off the bacon grease) and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the parsley, thyme, sage, and marjoram and stir. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the breadcrumbs, egg, salt, pepper, chicken broth and bacon to the vegetable and apple mixture.
- Place the stuffing mixture into a buttered 9x13 pan, or any other 3-quart pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165˚F.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
This Bacon Apple Stuffing first appeared on FFF on November 17, 2012. I updated the pictures, below are some of the originals.