This Crockpot Spiral Ham recipe has a spiced brown sugar glaze and is covered with pineapple slices while it cooks. It’s the best and easiest way to make your holiday ham!
This recipe costs $14.46 to make. It serves ten and costs $1.44 per serving.
During the holidays, anything that can be simplified is life-saving. This recipe requires minimal effort to simplify life in the kitchen.
It takes five ingredients and twenty minutes to prepare. Then you set it and forget it!
The crockpot makes this ham so tender, flavorful and frees up your oven space. Brown sugar and pineapple combine to create a lovely ham perfect for Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, and even a Sunday family dinner.
Table of Contents
Ingredients and Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.44
Recipe Cost: $14.46
- 7 pound spiral ham – $11.76
- 1 cup light brown sugar – $0.48
- ¼ cup unsalted butter – $0.40
- 20 oz can pineapple slices – $1.68
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves – $0.14
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Then set the ham into the crockpot.
- Next, make the glaze using a small saucepan. Melt the butter and then remove from heat and stir in the brown sugar.
- Add in ground cloves and stir.
- Cover the ham with the glaze, gently rubbing it into the ham.
- Secure pineapple slices on top of the ham with toothpicks. Pour the pineapple juice over the ham.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the ham is 145 degrees F.
- Finally, baste the ham with juice and let it sit for ten minutes before cutting.
What to serve with ham?
For some ham dinner ideas, I like to round out my meal with veggies, potatoes, bread, and something sweet. Below are my favorite sides for serving with this Crockpot Spiral Ham recipe.
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Aunt Nancie’s Sweet Potato Soufflé
- Brown Sugar and Honey Glazed Carrots
- Skillet Green Beans + 7 Variations
- Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Cranberry Fluff Salad
SERVE: You can keep the ham our for about two hours before it needs to be covered ad refrigerated.
STORE: Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
FREEZE: Place slices of ham on a baking sheet. Freeze until solid, about 1 hours. Then, place the frozen ham pieces in a freezer-safe container or freezer-safe bag. Freeze for up to two months.
THAW: Thaw spiral ham pieces overnight in the refrigerator or for about 2-3 hours at room temperature.
REHEAT: If you just need to reheat a few pieces, then reheat them in the microwave. If you have most of the ham to reheat, then preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Place the ham on a baking sheet and cover it with foil and heat until warmed.
- Slow cooker
- Small saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden mixing spoon
Ham should cook to an internal temperature of 140 degrees F. This will take about 3-4 hours for a 6-8 pound ham. Be sure not to overcook it as the ham will become tough instead of tender and juicy.
I typically plan for about ¾ of a pound to one pound per person. This ensures that everyone gets enough, and I have some ham for leftovers. I like to make Hawaiian Fried Rice, Slow Cooker Ham Chowder, and this Easy Ham and Cheese Quiche with leftovers.
If you are reheating a large amount of ham, it is best to reheat it in the oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and cover the ham with foil. Bake it until it reaches 140 degrees. If you have smaller pieces of ham, you can warm it up in the microwave for 30-second increments until the desired temperature is reached.
There’s an easy fix! Cover the crockpot tightly with heavy-duty foil (regular foil will do as well), and then place the lid on top. You’re basically using the lid at this point to weigh the foil down.
More Main Dishes for the Holidays
- Lobster Alfredo
- Smoked Lobster Tails
- Slow Cooker Cornish Hens
- New Mexico Posole
- Smoked Chuck Roast
- Copycat Honey Baked Ham
- Christmas Ham
- Christmas Lasagna
- Crockpot Pot Roast
- Pork Loin Roast
Crockpot Sprial Ham
- slow cooker
- small saucepan
- measuring cups and spoons
- wooden mixing spoon
- 6-8 pound spiral ham or the size that will fit into your Crockpot
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 20 oz can pineapple slices drained – reserve juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
PREP CROCKPOT & PLACE HAM:
- Coat the inside of the crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place ham, cut side down into the crockpot.
MAKE HAM GLAZE:
- In a small saucepan, melt butter.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in brown sugar until well combined and a paste forms.
- Sprinkle in ground cloves and stir to combine.
GLAZE AND PREP HAM:
- Cover ham with glaze and gently rub the mixture into the ham.
- Add pineapple slices on top of the ham and secure them with toothpicks.
- Pour the reserved pineapple juice over the ham.
- Add lid to crock pot if possible, if the lid doesn’t fit, cover the crockpot tightly with foil.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
- Baste the ham with juice and let it set for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve immediately.