These Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even for birthday breakfasts! The recipe makes 24 and costs just $6.82 cents to make!
Yesterday morning I filled in for an early morning seminary class and I got to do two things I absolutely love: teach and make treats. I remember going to early morning seminary and I used to love it when the teacher would bring treats.
I knew I had to do the same thing to sweeten the pot for the juniors and seniors I was going to teach. These cinnamon roll cupcakes were perfect for class, because they are so much more portable than regular cinnamon rolls due to being baked in cupcake liners.
Plus, cupcakes for breakfast? That’s typically a no-go for most of us, right? But a cinnamon roll cupcake totally counts for breakfast.
It’s a game changer folks!
You can make these for breakfast any day and feel good about it. Not only will you feel good about your life choices for the day but also you will love the great taste of these cinnamon roll cupcakes from scratch.
I know the kiddos I made them for sure loved them and were happy with their choice that day to get up early and go to seminary! Because these cupcakes are totally worth it!
Cook’s Note – Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes:
- This recipe can be made ahead of time, here’s how:
- Prepare the recipe up to STEP 7.
- Place the dough into the muffin tin and cover loosely with lightly oiled plastic wrap.
- Chill overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and let the dough come to room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Then continue with STEP 10.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
More Sweet Breakfast Recipes:
- Puff Pastry Cronuts
- Blueberry Scones
- Almond Coffee Cake Ring
- Chocolate Babka Bread
- Vanilla Dutch Baby Pancake
- Pumpkin Churro Waffles
How much will this cinnamon roll cupcakes recipe cost?
RECIPE COST: $6.82
COST PER SERVING: $0.29
NOTE: The recipe prices are used calculating name brand products from Walmart’s website. Actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what your pantry is already stocked with and current grocery prices.
- 2 ¼ teaspoons dry active yeast – $0.08
- ½ cup granulated sugar – $0.12
- 1 cup milk – $0.14
- 2 large eggs – $0.20
- ⅓ cup butter – $0.45
- 1 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 4 cups bread flour – $0.60
- 1 cup brown sugar – $0.48
- 2 ½ Tablespoons ground cinnamon – $0.25
- ⅓ cup butter – $0.45
- 8 oz cream cheese softened – $1.96
- ⅔ cup butter softened – $0.90
- 1 ½ -2 cups powdered sugar – $0.50
- 1 teaspoon vanilla – $0.68
How do you make cinnamon roll cupcakes?
Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
- 2 ¼ teaspoons dry active yeast or 1 packet
- ½ cup granulated sugar divided
- 1 cup warm milk approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 ½ Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup butter softened
FOR CREAM CHEESE ICING:
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ⅔ cup butter softened
- 1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl add the yeast, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and warm milk. Whisk until the yeast and sugar have dissolved.Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes. At the end of 10 minutes it should be nice and foamy.
- To the bowl add in the remaining sugar, eggs, butter, and salt. Add the flour, 1 cup at a time, and mix until well blended. Repeat with the remaining flour and mix until the dough forms into a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead about 2 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and rise in a warm place until doubled in size, this should take about an hour.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
MAKE FILLING AND PREP PANS:
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners, and lightly spray over the top of them and the pan with cooking spray.
ROLL, CUT, AND RISE DOUGH:
- With a floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 12×24-inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Start with the long side furthest way from you, and roll the dough towards you. Cut the rolled dough into 24 rolls using dental floss or a pastry cutter.
- Place the rolls into the prepared muffin tins. Cover each tin with a piece of lightly greased plastic wrap and let the dough rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- While the dough rises, move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place both muffin tins on the middle oven rack and bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Let rolls cool completely.
MAKE CREAM CHEESE ICING:
- Using hand beaters or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix cream cheese and butter on medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add the powdered sugar until desired consistency has been reached.
- Frost the cinnamon rolls and serve!
This post for Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes first appeared on Food Folks and Fun on January 20, 2011. I have since updated the pictures, and some of the originals are below.