If you love Red Velvet Cake, then you’ll LOVE these Red Velvet Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting! They’re so moist and homemade!
Disclosure: This Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy an item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter!
|My cute, little kitchen helper!|
Cook’s Note – Red Velvet Cupcakes:
- The Red Velvet Cupcakes will keep, in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days.
- Before serving chilled cupcakes, let them sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- This red velvet cupcake recipe can be cut in half.
Cook’s Tools – Red Velvet Cupcakes:
ONE YEAR AGO: Chile con Queso
TWO YEARS AGO: Skinny Tuscan Garlic Chicken
THREE YEARS AGO: Chicken and Waffle Sliders
- FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 Tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 T red food coloring (no-taste liquid food color, such as McCormick)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ Tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 ½ cups whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- FOR THE VANILLA CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 cups (2 pounds) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- FOR GARNISH (optional)
- FOR THE CUPCAKES: Move oven racks to upper middle and lower middle positions. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 standard cupcake pans with baking liners.
- Sift together the flour and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a bowl with a handheld electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together at medium speed for about 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
- Using a whisk, whisk together the red food coloring, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Slowly add this to the mixer bowl, mixing slowly until well incorporated.
- Add one-third of the flour, followed by one-third of the milk and mix until combined. Repeat. Stop to scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the last third of the flour, followed by the last third of the milk and mix until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, add the baking soda to the apple cider vinegar. You’ll see the baking soda and vinegar fizz up. Mix thoroughly and add this reaction to the batter. Mix until just incorporated.
- Using a 4 tablespoon scoop, scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pan (each cupcake well should be about ⅔ full). Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- FOR VANILLA CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Place the butter and cream cheese in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and cream for about 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and beat until well combined. Be sure to beat on high speed at the very end for about 2 minutes to ensure that the frosting is light and fluffy.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Frost the cupcakes as desired (I used my a large circular tip to frost these). Finally, sprinkle with sprinkles (optional).
More Valentine’s Day Dessert Recipes: