THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
These Gingerbread Waffles are the perfect breakfast for the holiday season. They’re a little bit spicy, a little bit sweet, and completely delicious.
Disclosure: This post for Gingerbread Waffles recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item by clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
These Gingerbread Waffles are my all-time favorite breakfast during the holidays. They’re perfectly spiced, so easy to make, and the addition of the buttermilk makes these waffles almost melt in your mouth. Try these waffles with my Buttermilk Syrup, the two together are out of this world!
I like to whip up a triple batch of these Gingerbread Waffles and cool and freeze them. That way we have gingerbread waffles all season long!
Cook’s Note – Gingerbread Waffles:
- Depending on your waffle iron, this recipe will make 8-10 regular-size waffles or 4-5 Belgian waffles.
- Leftover waffles can be frozen for up to 3 months. Cool the waffles completely, and then place in Ziploc bags and freeze. I like to reheat these waffles in a toaster or toaster oven.
- If you need to make a bunch of these Gingerbread Waffles and serve them all at the same time, then I suggest placing a cookie sheet with a wire rack laying in it in a 225-degree F oven. Once a waffle comes out of the waffle iron, just pop it onto the wire rack-lined cookie sheet until you’re ready to serve. Repeat with the remaining waffles.
Cook’s Tools – Gingerbread Waffles:
ONE YEAR AGO: Copycat Avalanche Cookies
TWO YEARS AGO: Hawaiian Fried Rice
THREE YEARS AGO: Gingerbread Oreo Cookie Balls
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup golden brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 6 Tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup sour cream at room temperature
- ¼ cup molasses
- FOR SERVING:
- Powdered sugar sifted
- Buttermilk Syrup
- Preheat and prepare your waffle iron as per manufacturer’s instruction (some say spray with nonstick cooking spray, and some do not).
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Keep whisking until no brown sugar clumps are left.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, buttermilk, butter, sour cream, and molasses.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk together until just combined and no flour pockets remain.
- Fill waffle wells with batter and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions. (Each waffle iron is different so be sure to use the amount of batter your unit’s instruction manual calls for.) The waffles are done when they’re crisp and golden. Repeat with remaining batter and serve immediately.
Makes 8-10 regular waffles or 4-5 gingerbread Belgian waffles.
More delicious gingerbread recipes: