These Gummy Bear Thumbprint Cookies help spread holiday cheer with simple surprises. They’re an easy Christmas cookie recipe that is so tasty! Grab the kids-they’ll love making them, too!
Gummy Bear Thumbprint Cookies
Christmas parties, shopping, entertaining out-of-town guests, recitals, events, shows…that pretty much sums up my December. With all of these extra activities, there’s barely any time for baking my favorite holiday cookies and treats.
During the holiday season, I always have a few pouches of sugar cookie mix in my pantry along with a well-stocked selection of holiday sprinkles, icing sugars, candies and the like. That way I can whip up a batch of Christmas cheer when needed like these Gummy Bear Thumbprint Cookies, my Cranberry Pistachio Pudding Cookies, or my Peppermint Bark Sugar Cookie Pie!
My kids (ages 5 and 2) love baking treats with me, especially Christmas cookies. When we make cookies together I like quick, easy recipes that help build their kitchen confidence. I have a few recipes in my repertoire that use cookie mixes that are easy enough for even my 2-year-old to help out with like these Gummy Bear Thumbprint cookies.
With this recipe for Gummy Bear Thumbprint Cookies, my 2-year-old helped me dump all of the ingredients into the bowl, mix the dough, and roll the dough into the red and green decorating sugars.
The holidays are all about making the season bright, right? With this Gummy Bear Thumbprint Cookies recipe, I wanted my cookies to be bright in color and flavor! The decorating sugar and gummy bears in these Christmas cookies definitely achieve that! My kids love them and they’re perfect for spreading cheer with simple surprises! Plus you can make them from start to finish in just 45 minutes! They’re so easy to make, let me show you how!
How to Make – Gummy Bear Thumbprint Cookies:
- Gather all of the ingredients and make the dough.
- Roll the dough into a ball and then into decorating sugar. Place dough on cookie sheets 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 6 minutes, then make an indentation in each cookie with your thumb.
- Fill each indentation with a gummy bear.
- Bake another 1-2 minutes, until the gummy bears melt.
- Cool on wire racks until set. Enjoy!
Cook’s Note – Gummy Bear Thumbprint Cookies:
- Cookies will keep, in an air-tight container at room temperature, for up to 5 days.
- Cookies will keep in the freezer, between pieces of parchment in an air-tight container, for up to 3 months.
Cook’s Tools – Gummy Bear Thumbprint Cookies:
ONE YEAR AGO: Almond Roca Brittle
TWO YEARS AGO: French Bread Pizza
THREE YEARS AGO: Hanging Gingerbread Cookies
Gummy Bear Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 lb 1.5 oz pouch Betty Crocker™ sugar cookie mix
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Red or green decorating sugar optional
- 36 gummy bear candies
- Move oven rack to middle position, and heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment or silicone liners, set aside. Place decorating sugar in shallow bowls, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add cookie mix, butter, egg, and flour.
- Stir until dough forms.
- Roll dough into 36, 1-inch balls. Roll balls into decorating sugar and place them 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake, one cookie sheet at a time, for 7 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from the oven and use a thumb to make an indentation in center of each cookie. Place 1 gummy bear into each indentation. Return cookie sheet to oven for another 1 ½ minutes to melt gummy bears.
- Cool cookies 5 minutes then remove from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining cookie sheet and dough.
How are you spreading holiday cheer this season? I’d love to know which holiday cookies you’re making, leave a comment below to let me know!