The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Making a perfect hard-boiled egg is an essential cooking technique that many home cooks struggle with. Come discover how to make easy Instant Pot Hard Boiled eggs. This recipe will work if you’re making 1 or 75 hard-boiled eggs!
Use these hard-boiled eggs in this How to Dye Easter Eggs With Food Coloring tutorial.
Hard boiled eggs in an instant pot
It’s that time of year where we need hard-boiled eggs and lots of them. I always dread cooking the eggs year after year.
It seems like hard-boiling eggs should be so simple yet they can easily come out overcooked or with lots of cracks. And when you need lots of eggs for coloring it can take a long time to cook them all.
And then to just end up with a bunch of cracked eggs is so frustrating! Well, be frustrated no more! Instant Pot hard-boiled eggs are life-changing!
I am obsessed with the plethora of options the Instant Pot has, and making hard-boiled eggs is no exception. Instant Pot hard-boiled eggs are so simple to make, it literally takes a few minutes of prep time.
We all have a few minutes, right? As if being simple to make wasn’t great enough, Instant Pot hard-boiled eggs turn out perfect every time. No more overcooked or cracked eggs.
If your kids are like mine they will be just as excited as you are about these Instant Pot hard-boiled eggs because no one will have to argue over who has to color the cracked eggs!
Hard-Boiled Eggs Week
With Easter on its way, I thought that it was best to dedicate an entire week to Hard Boiled Eggs! You’ll find this recipe and more recipe ideas and uses for Hard Boiled Eggs.
How to hard boil eggs in an instant pot?
- First, place the steamer or trivet in the instant pot after pouring in the water.
- Then, carefully layer the number of eggs you want to cook and seal the lid on.
- Next, push the manual button and set the time to 5 minutes on high pressure.
- Then, while the eggs cook, prepare a large bowl with cold water and ice to put the eggs in after they are done cooking.
- Once the eggs are done cooking open the valve to release the steam and then transfer the eggs to the ice bath.
- Finally, let the eggs sit for 5 minutes in the ice bath, and then peel the eggs when ready and enjoy!
How many eggs can you hard boil in the instant pot?
Up to 75 large eggs. That’s right, you can do almost 6 ½ dozen eggs at once and this big batch of eggs will take the same time to cook as if you were only cooking 1 dozen eggs. Ah-mazing!
There are a couple of things to be aware of though before cooking this many eggs. The instant pot will take longer to come to pressure (about 30 minutes) vs a few minutes to come to pressure when cooking a small number of eggs.
You will have a few cracked eggs when you cook a large amount, but that’s ok, they will still be cooked. It’s worth the few cracked shells because of the number of eggs you just cooked at once!
How do I use the egg setting on my instant pot?
You will not believe how easy it is to make hard-boiled eggs in an Instant Pot. After you have closed the lid to your instant pot and set the pressure release to sealing, press the “egg” button on your Instant Pot.
It will take the Instant Pot a few minutes up to 30 minutes to get to pressure depending on the number of eggs you are cooking. Once the pot has heated up it will take 5 minutes to cook. You can adjust the time to fewer minutes for softer boiled eggs.
How long do peeled eggs last in the fridge?
Hard-boiled peeled eggs can be stored in the fridge in a bowl of cold water that is changed daily for up to one week. You may also store them in a container covered by a damp paper towel for the same amount of time.
Cook’s Notes – Hard-boiled eggs in instant pot:
- If you are cooking extra-large eggs, then set the instant pot to cook the eggs for 7 minutes.
- For soft boiled eggs, set the instant pot to cook for just 3 minutes.
Cook’s Tools – Hard boil eggs in instant pot:
- Instant Pot
- liquid measuring cup
- large mixing bowl
ONE YEAR AGO: Tomato Tortellini Soup
TWO YEARS AGO: Easy Ham and Cheese Quiche
THREE YEARS AGO: Overnight Blueberry Almond Muesli
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
FOR COOKING THE EGGS:
- 1 cup of water
- 12 large eggs
FOR COOLING DOWN THE EGGS:
- 4 cups cold water
- 4 cups ice cubes
- Place the steamer basket or trivet into the Instant Pot insert. Pour in the water.
- Place the eggs on top of the basket or trivet.
- Put the lid on so it is in the locked position, and adjust the pressure release so it is set to “Sealing”. Press the Manual button and set the cooking time to 5 minutes and set the pressure to HIGH.
- While the eggs cook, prepare an ice bath by pouring 4 cups of water and 4 cups of ice cubes into a large bowl.
- When the eggs have cooked for 5 minutes, let the pressure in the instant pot to naturally release for 5 minutes. Next, move the pressure release valve to “Venting” until all of the remaining steam is released.
- Open the Instant Pot and carefully place the eggs into the ice bath and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Finally, peel the hard boiled eggs when you’re ready to eat them or use them in a recipe.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Tried this method of cooking eggs in instant pot and it was a success!
Brandi, I am so glad that this recipe worked for you!
Jane Saunders says
This is a gamechanger for me – I usually put my eggs in a pan on the hob, walk away and forget about them until they start exploding on me. Thanks for sharing this great idea.
Mary Bostow says
I have followed your method several times now, and it works perfectly every single time. Thank you so much!
Jessica Formicola says
After trying this recipe, I’ll never make boiled eggs any other way again! Thanks for sharing!
Kelly Anthony says
I can’t believe that the instant pot can cook 75 eggs at one time. This is impressive. The eggs look perfectly cooked and takes half of the time. Thanks for sharing!
Julie Wallace says
What a cool idea for Easter, especially with kids and Easter egg hunts and whatnot! Thanks for adding the instructions for soft-boiled eggs too (those are more my style :))
You’re so welcome, enjoy! 🙂
Great Instructions! Thank you!
Nice and quick way to make perfect boiled eggs