The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
If you love jalapeno poppers, then you are going to love this Jalapeno Popper Soup! Loaded with vegetables and chunks of chicken, it is hearty enough to be served as a meal. In addition, the creamy broth has just the right kick to leave you ready for another bite!
This recipe serves six for just $1.36 per serving. The entire recipe costs $8.17 to make.
The inspiration for this recipe comes from my Baked Jalapeno Poppers. A batch of Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread is the perfect complement to this soup.
This soup has just the right amount of spice from the jalapenos and is full of veggies in a creamy, cheesy broth. And don’t forget the bacon! This soup is loaded with bacon, and we all know that bacon makes everything better.
The ingredients come together to create a savory soup that is both hearty and comforting. There is nothing quite like a warm bowl of soup on a cold and chilly night.
The soup is made on the stove-top in about an hour. One cup of this spicy, rich, and creamy soup will leave you warmed up and wanting another bowl!
Ingredients and Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.36
Recipe Cost: $8.17
- 8 ounces bacon – $2.12
- 5 jalapeno peppers – $1.00
- ½ cup white onion – $0.18
- 3 large garlic cloves – $0.15
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour – $0.05
- ¼ teaspoon paprika – $0.01
- 1 teaspoon cumin – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt – $0.02
- ½ teaspoon black pepper – $0.03
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth – $1.24
- 8 ounces cream cheese – $1.00
- 1 cup half-and-half – $0.75
- 2 cups shredded chicken – $1.20
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, cook the bacon over medium heat for about ten minutes, stirring often. Place the cooked bacon on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Next, keep two Tablespoons of the bacon grease in the pan and add the jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, and onion.
- Saute the veggies for five to six minutes until the veggies are soft and then add the garlic, flour, salt, and spices.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Once it is boiling, turn the heat to medium-low and stir in the cream cheese.
- Keep stirring until it is completely melted.
- Finally, mix in the half-and-half and the shredded chicken and cook for an additional ten minutes, before serving.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with bacon, shredded cheese, sliced green onions, and sliced jalapenos (all optional). Serve.
- Chicken – You can poach or bake chicken fresh for this recipe, but it is also the perfect way to use leftover chicken. Shredding a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken is another easy way to get the chicken for this recipe. If you have leftover turkey you can use that instead of chicken.
- Bacon – Topping this soup with bacon crumbles makes it so delicious, and adds a great texture to the soup! But that is an optional step. If you decide to skip the bacon then you can use 2 tablespoon of oil instead of the bacon grease.
- Jalapenos – Jalapenos vary in heat. If yours are really spicy then use 4 jalapenos. If your jalapenos are on the medium-heat side, or you like things really spice, then add 6 jalapenos.
- Half and Half – Using half and half gives the soup wonderful creaminess without going too overboard on the fat content. For an even creamier soup, use heavy cream instead of half and half.
- Cream Cheese – Light cream cheese or Neufchatel can also be used.
SERVE: You can keep the soup out for about two hours before it needs to be covered and stored in the refrigerator.
STORE: Store your soup refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
FREEZE: While this soup can be frozen it may separate due to the cream cheese and half and half. It doesn’t impact the safety or flavor of the soup, but it will not look as creamy and smooth. If you choose to freeze it then it will be good for up to 3 months.
- Slotted spoon
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Dutch oven
For Keto Jalapeno Popper Soup, make sure that you use full-fat cream cheese and use heavy cream instead of half and half.
Depending on how cold your cream cheese is when you put it into the soup, it may take 5 minutes or more to melt. It is normal for it to look like the soup has curdled while incorporating the cream cheese. It is just pieces of cream cheese that haven’t yet melted! Just keep stirring, and it will soon melt smoothly into the broth.
Yes, while it would change the dish’s flavor, it still tastes great when you use pickled jalapenos in this soup!
- Tomato Soup with Basil
- Chicken Barley Soup
- New Mexico Posole
- Thick and Creamy Potato Soup
- Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana
- Cream of Celery Soup
- Black Bean Soup
Jalapeno Popper Soup
- 8 ounces bacon diced
- 4-6 jalapeno peppers chopped
- ½ cup chopped red or green bell peppers
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped green onions
- sliced jalapeno
- crumbled bacon
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven or stock pan over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease, then add the jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, and onion to the pan, along with the 2 tablespoons of grease. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, until the vegetables are soft, then add the garlic, flour, salt, and spices and cook an additional minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it is boiling, turn the heat to medium-low and add cream cheese. Stir vigorously until the cream cheese is fully melted. Then add the half and half and shredded chicken and cook for 10 minutes, or until heated through.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with shredded cheese, chopped green onions, sliced jalapenos, and crumbled bacon (all optional).