Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup is super easy to make AND it’s a low carb recipe! It’s just the low carb dinner that you’re looking for that the entire family will love!
This post for Low Carb Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter!
January is the time of year for 2 things: new diets and eating habits, and soul-warming recipes to keep you warm during the long winter ahead. Well, this recipe ticks both of those boxes. Not only is this recipe low carb, but it’s some serious comfort food, too!
Once winter hits I almost exclusively cook dinner in the slow cooker. There’s something about slow cooked food that’s so comforting during the chilly months of winter. One thing I’ve found over years of slow cooking is that broccoli has the tendency to turn a rather unappetizing color in the crockpot. To counteract that, I add my secret ingredient: baking soda!
Why Baking Soda in this Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe?
I’ve found that baking soda helps some foods retain their color after being cooked a long time. Broccoli is one of those foods that loses its bright, vibrant color after being cooked awhile. To avoid color loss I use just a touch of baking soda! This trick also works well for homemade black bean soup–adding just a touch of baking soda helps keep the soup black rather than grey or purple.
Some of my Favorite Low-Carb Slow Cooker Recipes:
Cook’s Tools – Broccoli Cheese Soup:
Cook’s Note – Broccoli Cheese Soup:
- This recipe can be doubled, just make sure your slow cooker can hold at least 6 quarts. If you double the recipe you do not need to alter the cooking times.
- If you do not have an immersion blender, then you can use a blender instead. Just blend the soup in batches and make sure you hold the lid on SUPER TIGHT!
- Either yellow or white sharp cheddar cheese will work in this Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe.
ONE YEAR AGO: Chocolate Cannoli Tart
TWO YEARS AGO: Butter Pecan Fudge
THREE YEARS AGO: Restaurant-Style Black Bean Soup
Low Carb Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 20 oz frozen broccoli
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion diced (yellow, white or red onion)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper + more to taste
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt + more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ozs sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ozs low fat cream cheese at room temperature and cut into 4 pieces
- Add frozen broccoli, carrots, onion, garlic, and chicken broth to slow cooker insert. Stir in mustard, black pepper, paprika, salt, and baking soda. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours, stirring every hour. Use an immersion blender to blend soup until no large chunks of broccoli or carrot remain. (Alliteratively, you can blend the soup in batches. Just make sure you hold the lid on tight!)
- Stir in shredded cheddar and cream cheese. Cover and cook on LOW for 15 minutes. Give the soup a quick stir, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve!
Makes 4-6 servings (I’d say it serves 4 if this is the only thing served for dinner, and 6 if there’s a salad as well as this soup for dinner).