The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Homemade Cream of Celery Soup is a delicious substitute for the pantry staple, condensed soup. It’s a great base for adding to casseroles and soups.
For only $2.16, you can make a homemade soup that tastes leaps and bounds better than what you can buy in the store.
For more homemade soups you can use as a base in other recipes, try this Cream of Chicken Soup and Cream of Mushroom Soup (recipe coming soon).
Homemade Cream of Celery Soup
Leave the canned stuff on the shelf and make my Homemade Cream of Celery Soup instead. This flavorful soup will WOW you and your family.
We all know we use canned cream of something soups in a pinch for our favorite casserole recipes. We have all done it!
But I am here to tell you if you make this recipe ahead of time and freeze it in smaller increments, you can then pull it out whenever you need it instead of going to your pantry for a can.
The difference in taste is astounding. Your favorite casserole will go from good to great when you add this homemade soup to it.
This cream of celery soup is a delicious blend of cream and celery that is so good you can eat it on its own. I would never do that with a can I bought at the store!
Can I freeze cream of celery soup?
Absolutely! Freeze it in two cup portions so you can pull out just what you need when making your favorite casserole.
Is cream of celery healthy?
Cream of Celery soup isn’t the healthiest soup, primarily because of the butter and half-and-half in the recipe. Homemade cream of celery soup is more nutritious than the canned variety because it lacks preservatives added to the store brands.
Can I substitute cream of chicken for cream of celery?
You can use cream of celery instead of cream of chicken in any recipe. The taste will be slightly different, but an equal substitution will work great because the consistency will be the same. . You can always add a chicken bouillon cube to the cream of celery soup if you need it to have more of a chicken flavor.
How to make Cream of Celery Soup recipe:
STEP ONE: First, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Then, whisk in flour, so it makes a paste.
STEP TWO: Stir and cook the flour and butter for one minute. Then whisk in chicken stock and milk until smooth.
STEP THREE: Next, stir in the seasonings. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened.
STEP FOUR: Finally, remove the saucepan from the heat and cool completely before placing it in an airtight container to store in the fridge.
- Medium saucepan
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
How long is it good for:
SERVE: You can keep this at room temperature for up to 2 hours before it will need to be refrigerated.
STORE: Keep this chicken condensed soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
FREEZE: You can freeze this recipe in a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag for 3-4 months. To do so, make sure the cream of celery soup is completely cooled before placing it in a container. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, and then heat in a saucepan until heated through. If the soup separates, then blend the soup with an immersion blender or pour it into a regular blender and blend until it comes together.
How much will this Cream of Celery Soup recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $2.16
PER SERVING COST: $0.72
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- ½ cup unsalted butter – $0.80
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour – $0.12
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder – $0.02
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock – $0.33
- ½ cup celery – $0.09
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half – $0.75
- ½ teaspoon pepper – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ½ teaspoon onion powder – $0.01
More Soup Recipes:
- Easy Chicken Barley Soup
- Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana
- Thick and Creamy Potato Soup
- Tomato Soup
- Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup
- Pantry Chicken Taco Soup
- Crockpot Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Slow cooker Ham Chowder
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
Cream of Celery Soup Base
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup celery chopped small and sauteed
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, so it makes a paste. Continue stirring and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock and milk until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir until combined.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 2-4 minutes.
- Stir in chicken.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Cool completely.
- Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.