This Lemon Chicken with Potatoes and Artichokes recipe is a super simple weeknight dinner recipe that everyone loves and is fancy enough to serve when company comes over.
Baked Lemon Chicken
This recipe is based on Ina Garten’s Lemon Chicken. I love Ina’s lemon chicken, but over the years I found myself making a few adaptions. First, I used boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of skin-on chicken breasts to make the dish a little healthier. Second, I added my sides to the pan, red potatoes and artichokes, and let them cook along with the chicken.
The second change has been a game-changer for me because I can quickly prep this recipe and then help with kids with homework. Then all I have to do before dinner is slice some homemade bread or make a nice green leafy salad. For dessert, my Zesty Lemon Bars would be lovely!
COOK’S NOTE – LEMON CHICKEN WITH POTATOES AND ARTICHOKES:
- This baked lemon chicken recipe makes a lot of pan drippings. I like to use 1/4 cup of warm pan drippings to cover baby spinach leaves for a salad. I then garnish the salad with some of my homemade croutons!
- Sometimes I like to add 2 Tablespoons of capers on top of the chicken while it cooks, and then I serve the chicken, potatoes, artichokes, and some of the pan sauce over cooked linguine. Add some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and you’ve got a killer dinner on your hands!
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
COOK’S TOOLS – BAKED LEMON CHICKEN:
ONE YEAR AGO: Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Bowls
TWO YEARS AGO: Roasted Purple Cauliflower with Rigatoni
THREE YEARS AGO: Cheddar Biscuits
Lemon Chicken with Red Potatoes and Artichokes
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 9 large garlic cloves minced (about 3 Tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts 6-8 ounces each
- 1 pound small red potatoes quartered
- 9 ounce box frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and drained
- 1 large whole lemon cut into 8 wedges
- fresh chopped parsley
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat to 400 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add the olive oil and garlic. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the garlic becomes fragrant. Be careful to not let the garlic brown! Take the saucepan off the heat and whisk in the white wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Pour half of the mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Take a couple pieces of paper towel and pat the chicken dry. Nestle the chicken in the pan and sprinkle the chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
- Evenly distribute the potatoes and artichokes over the chicken.
- Pour the remaining olive oil mixture over the chicken and vegetables.
- Evenly distribute the lemon wedges.
- Depending on the size of the chicken, bake for 30-40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Cover the pan with foil and allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve with pan juices and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
This Baked Lemon Chicken recipe first appeared on FFF on July 15, 2013. I’ve since updated the pictures and the recipe. You can see the original picture below.
Latest posts by Jillian (see all)
- Three Cheese Calzones - January 17, 2020
- Crock-Pot Chicken Gyro Bowls - January 15, 2020
- Grandma’s Golumpki – Stuffed Polish Cabbage (Gołąbki) - January 14, 2020