THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
Make this easy and crave-worthy restaurant favorite at home! This Copycat Monterey Chicken recipe is the perfect combination of honey-mustard chicken breasts, bacon, and melted ooey-gooey Monterey Jack cheese.
Chicken is the most common food item I serve my family for dinner. But I have to admit, chicken can get a little blah after a while. But not with this Copycat recipe! It is SO incredibly flavorful and very easy to make!
Chicken, cheese, bacon, honey, mustard, onion, and tomatoes. What’s not to like about this delicious chicken recipe? My family just loves this dinner and ask for it often! This Monterey Chicken recipe is a bit on the decadent side I like serving it with a veggie salad, some simple steamed broccoli, or corn on the cob. Life is about balance, right?
Cook’s Note – Monterey Chicken:
- You can grill this chicken recipe instead of baking it. Simply preheat grill to medium-high (about 375 degrees). Cook about 6-8 minutes per side, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and the juices run clear.
- Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the chicken back into the pan and cover it with foil. Warm it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
Copycat Monterey Chicken
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- Salt and pepper
- 4 skinless chicken breasts trimmed, and about 6-8 ounces each
- 4 slices bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
- ½ small red onion cut into 1/2-inch slices
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
- 2 Tablespoons sliced green onion
- Lime wedges for serving
- In small bowl whisk together mustard, honey, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Reserve ¼ cup of honey-mustard mixture for basting chicken. Place chicken into gallon-size zipper-lock bag and pour rest of honey-mustard mixture in. Zip bag and shake to coat chicken, and chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 9x13-inch pan (or any other 3 quart baking dish) with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken in pan and top with onion slices. Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towel–lined plate.
- When chicken is cooked, uncover it, spread with reserved honey-mustard mixture, top with bacon and cheese and broil until cheese is nice and bubbly. Watch the chicken while it’s under the broiler because it can go from beautifully cheesy to burnt very quickly!
- Remove chicken from oven, top with chopped tomatoes and green onions, and serve with lime wedges!