This Strawberry Cream Cake recipe is an impressive layer cake for summer parties, BBQs, potlucks, or other get-togethers. This dessert is a show-stopper!
It costs around $12.93 to make twelve servings of this cake. Therefore, the price per serving is about $1.07.
Use my tutorial on How to Make Strawberries Last Longer to extend the life of your strawberries once you find a good deal so you can make all the yummy strawberry desserts like Strawberry Shortcake Roll, Strawberry Lasagna, and Homemade Strawberry Shortcake.
Strawberries and cream are a classic combination that everyone loves to enjoy, especially during the summer. Add strawberries and cream to layers of white cake, and it becomes heavenly.
This homemade cake is made with simple ingredients and can be enjoyed year round, but I especially love it during the summer months of prime strawberry season.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.07
Recipe Cost: $12.93
- 3 cups all purpose flour – $0.27
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder – $0.11
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt – $0.02
- 1 cup unsalted butter – $0.88
- 2 cups granulated sugar – $0.34
- 4 large eggs – $0.44
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract – $2.04
- ½ teaspoon almond extract – $0.06
- 1 ⅓ cup buttermilk – $0.48
- 4 cups strawberries – $3.32
- ⅓ cup strawberry jam – $0.39
- 8 oz cream cheese – $2.24
- 1 cup powdered sugar – $0.38
- 2 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream – $1.96
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Strawberry Cream Cake
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Next, using a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set this bowl aside.
- Then, using a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time. Then mix in two teaspoons of vanilla and almond extract.
- Next, alternately add in the flour and buttermilk, ending with the flour mixture.
- Spray three 8-inch baking pans with cooking spray and evenly pour the batter into the three pans.
- Bake the cakes for 30-35 minutes.
- Set aside eleven to twelve strawberries for garnish and slice the remaining strawberries and place them in a bowl.
- Mix in the strawberry jam with the strawberries.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to sit for five minutes on a cooling rack before removing them from the pans to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and teaspoon of vanilla for about three to five minutes.
- Slowly, pour in the heavy cream while beating and beat until stiff peaks have formed.
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand and spread ⅓ of the cream evenly over the top of the cake. Place ⅓ of the strawberries on top of the cream.
- Set the next cake layer on top of the strawberries followed by cream and strawberries.
- Finally, add the final cake layer and spread half of the remaining cream over the top of the cake.
- Pipe the remaining cream around the outside of the cake into little swirls and place a whole strawberry on each one. Place the remaining strawberries in the center of the cake and slice to serve.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- If you don’t have any buttermilk, you can make your own!
- You can use low-fat cream cheese in this recipe, but please don’t use non-fat.
- You can use strawberry jam or preserves in this recipe.
Storage and Serving Tips
SERVE: You can keep this cake at room temperature for about two hours before it needs to be refrigerated.
STORE: Cover and store the cake in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
FREEZE: This cake does not freeze and defrost well so I do not recommend freezing it.
Due to the fresh strawberries and cream in this cake, it should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to two days.
The fresh homemade cream and strawberry mixture in this recipe will act as glue in this recipe. After spreading each layer of cake with the cream you will place the sliced strawberries and jam mixture on top of the cream.
I do not recommend assembling the cake until the day of. You can pre-make the cake layers the day before and then assemble and decorate the cake with the strawberries the day of.
More Cake Recipes
- Grandma’s Crushed Pineapple Cake
- Best Ever Coconut Cream Cake
- Cheesecake Factory Carrot Cake Cheesecake Copycat
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake Copycat
- Orange Creamsicle Cake
- Copycat Olive Garden Lemon Cream Cake
- Epic Buckeye Brownie Cheesecake Cake
- Lemon Pistachio Bundt Cake
- Mom’s Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Glaze
Strawberry Cream Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract divided
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 4 cups strawberries + more to garnish washed
- ⅓ cup strawberry jam
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and sugar, and cream until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one by one, making sure to incorporate between eggs fully.
- Add two teaspoons of vanilla and the almond extract.
- Mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk intermittently, ending with the flour mixture.
- Grease (3) 8″ baking pans with butter and dust completely with flour (or use baking cooking spray).
- Divide the cake batter between the three pans.
- Bang the pans down on the counter a few times to eliminate any bubbles.
- Spread the top with a spatula to make it even.
- Place all three cake pans into the oven, rotating halfway through baking, and bake for 30-35 minutes.
MAKE STRAWBERRY FILLING:
- While the cake is baking, choose 11-12 of the prettiest strawberries for your garnish and set them aside.
- Slice the remaining strawberries and put them into a small mixing bowl.
- Add the strawberry jam and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Remove the cakes from the oven once they’re cooked, and allow them to sit for 5 minutes on a cooling rack.
- After 5-10 minutes, remove each of the cakes and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
MAKE CREAM CHEESE WHIPPED CREAM:
- Add the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and one teaspoon of vanilla to the cleaned stand mixer bowl.
- Beat on a medium speed with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Slowly pour the heavy cream into the bowl while the mixer is still going. Beat until the cream has formed stiff peaks, about 4-5 minutes.
- Once the cake layers have cooled completely, add one layer to a cake stand or serving plate.
- Add about ⅓ of the cream and spread evenly over the first cake layer’s top.
- Arrange ⅓ of the strawberries on top of the cream.
- Add another cake layer on top of the strawberries.
- Spread another ⅓ of the cream, followed by another layer of the sliced strawberries.
- Add your final cake layer and spread half of the remaining cream over the top.
- Put the remaining cream into a piping bag with a 4B tip or similar tip.
- Pipe around the outside in little swirls. Place a whole strawberry on each swirl.
- Take the remaining sliced strawberries and add them to the center of the top of the cake.
- Slice and serve.