The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This recipe for Strawberry Tartlets is an elegant way to finish any meal. They have a crisp crust and a dreamy homemade custard filling.
It costs approximately $6.63 to make these Strawberry Tartlets. The recipe makes four servings for about $1.65 per serving.
For these Strawberry Tartlets, the perfectly golden-baked pie shells are filled with vanilla custard and then topped with fresh sliced strawberries and a strawberry glaze.
They make a fabulous dessert for Baby or Bridal Showers, dinner parties, or afternoon tea parties. My Strawberry Tartlet recipe is easy to follow and a must-have all summer long!
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.65
Recipe Cost: $6.63
- 2 cups all-purpose flour – $0.18
- ¾ and ⅛ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 5 ½ Tablespoons unsalted butter – $0.77
- 4 Tablespoons shortening – $0.32
- 1 egg yolk – $0.19
- ¼ cup and 2 teaspoons water – $0.00
- 1 ¼ cups milk – $0.30
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste – $0.66
- 4 ½ Tablespoons granulated sugar – $0.13
- 1 ½ Tablespoons cornstarch – $0.04
- 3 large yolks – $0.56
- 1 pound strawberries – $2.78
- ⅓ cup strawberry jelly – $0.69
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the pricing for this recipe in January 2023.
How To Make Strawberry Tartlets
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, pulse the flour and salt in a food processor a few times to combine.
- Then, add the butter and shortening and pulse until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Next, add the egg yolk and mix to combine.
- With the processor running, stream the water through the feed chute and mix until combined.
- Remove the dough and form it into a disc that you then cover with plastic wrap to chill for thirty minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and lightly spray four, four-inch tart pans with non-stick baking spray.
- Then, divide the chilled dough between the four pans and press the dough into the sides of each pan.
- Cut off any excess dougn from the top of each pan and cover the pie crust with parchment paper. Place pie weights or lentils on top of the parchment paper.
- Bake the pans for twenty-four minutes. Allow the pans to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Next, whisk together the milk and vanilla bean paste in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and then remove it from the heat.
- Then whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a separate mixing bowl until smooth and pale.
- Pour the hot vanilla milk slowly into the bowl while whisking to temper the eggs.
- After the milk is mixed in, pour the mixture into the pan and return the pan to the heat.
- Whisk the mixture until it bubbles. Once it is bubbling, cook it for one minute and then remove from the heat.
- Add the butter and mix until the butter is melted and combined. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let it cool for thirty minutes.
- Spoon the filling into the tartlets and place them into the fridge to chill for three hours.
- Next, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the strawberry jelly and water and heat for twenty to thrity seconds in the microwave.
- Mix the jelly mixture until smooth.
- Remove the tartlets from the fridge and place sliced strawberries on each one.
- Finally, brush the glaze over the strawberries and let them sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Butter may be used instead of shortening.
- Vanilla extract may be used instead of vanilla bean paste. Increase the amount used to 1 Tbs.
- Raspberry or apricot jelly may be used instead of strawberry jelly. The warm jelly adds a delicious and beautiful shiny finish to the fresh strawberries.
- This recipe may also be used to make 8-2″ tartlets.
SERVE: You can keep these out for about 90 minutes before they need to be covered and stored in the refrigerator.
STORE: Tartlets may be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
FREEZE: These tarts do not freeze well, so I do not recommend freezing them.
A tartlet is a mini tart with a pie crust on the bottom with a custard filling. These Strawberry Tartlets are topped with strawberry slices and a delicious strawberry glaze.
I do not recommend freezing these tarts as they do not freeze well.
The dough is basically the same.
- Strawberry Lasagna
- Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
- Strawberry Shortcake Roll Cake
- Easy Strawberry Syrup Recipe
- Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Fresh Strawberry Topping
- Strawberry Shortcake Roll-Up Cake
- Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- No-Bake Banana Split Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 4 Tablespoons cold shortening cut into cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 4 ½ Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Small sliced strawberries
- ⅓ cup strawberry jelly smooth
- 2 tsp water
MAKE THE DOUGH::
- In a food processor, add flour and salt. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the butter and shortening and pulse until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Add the egg yolk and mix to combine.
- While the processor is running, stream the water through the feed chute and mix until incorporated.
- Remove the dough from the processor and form it into a disc.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
PREHEAT OVEN AND PREP PANS:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Lightly spray 4, 4-inch tart pans with non-stick baking spray.
FORM, BAKE, AND COOL THE CRUST:
- Divide the chilled dough evenly between the four pans and press into the bottom and sides of each pan.
- Cut off any excess from the top of each pan. Cover each pie crust with parchment paper and place pie weights or lentils on top.
- Place the pans into the preheated oven and bake for 24 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack to cool completely. While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.
MAKE THE FILLING:
- Whisk together milk and vanilla bean paste in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the milk begins to simmer, remove it from the heat.
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a separate mixing bowl until smooth and pale.
- Slowly pour the hot vanilla milk into the bowl while whisking to temper the eggs.
- Once all the milk is incorporated, pour the mixture back into the pan.
- Return the pan to the heat.
- Continue whisking until the mixture begins to bubble. Once bubbling, let cook for exactly 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
- Add the butter and mix until the butter is melted and incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Spoon the cooled filling into the tartlets and place them into the fridge to chill for 3 hours.
- Once the tartlets have chilled, make the glaze. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine strawberry jelly and water and heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- Once heated, remove from the microwave and mix until smooth.
- Remove the chilled tartlets from the fridge.
- Place sliced strawberry tops onto each tartlet.
- Brush the glaze over the strawberries.
SET AND SERVE:
- Let set for a few minutes before serving.