THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This easy ham and cheese quiche recipe has a creamy smooth custard interior, and it’s filled to the brim with ham and Swiss cheese. It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner!
There are 2 things that I absolutely love about quiche:
- The savory, creamy, custard-like interior.
- The fact that they’re not fussy.
You can serve this ham and cheese quiche warm or at room temperature. Plus, you can even make it ahead of time for brunch, showers, etc. I also love the versatility of quiche. You can make it with all sorts of fillings: bacon, ham, sausage, spinach, broccoli, bell peppers, tomato, basil, and basically any kind of cheese, too! I love the classic combination of ham and Swiss cheese, and in a quiche, it’s so tasty! For this ham and cheese quiche recipe I used a Pillsbury pie crust, but you can easily substitute a homemade crust. For instructions to make a homemade crust, check out my quiche lorraine recipe.
Quiche Questions Answered:
Do you prebake the crust for quiche?
Yes! You will want to prebake the crust when making this quiche. The rule of thumb for pre-baking crusts is to prebake it when the filling is wet. This procedure is called “blind baking” but you do not have to be blindfolded to do it! Just bake the crust before you add the filling to the crust, so it does not become soggy while it is baking after you add the filling to the crust.
Can quiche be made the day before?
Absolutely! You can make the quiche the day before, let it cool and then refrigerate it. Then just reheat it the next day in the oven.
How do you make ham and cheese quiche?
To make this easy ham and cheese quiche begin by prebaking the store-bought crust for about 10 minutes. While the pie crust is baking, heat oil in a skillet and cook the onion until the onions are translucent. Then add the onions, ham, and cheese to the bottom of the pre-baked pie crust. Next, in a medium bowl stir together the eggs, yolks, half and half, salt and pepper until it is mixed well. Then pour this mixture into the pie crust and bake it for 35-40 minutes. Finally, let it cool for 15 minutes before serving it.
COOK’S NOTE – Ham and Cheese Quiche
- This ham and cheese quiche recipe can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Leftovers can be stored at room temperature for up to 24 hours, or covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- I used Pillsbury 9-inch frozen deep pie crust for this recipe. I didn’t make my own crust, but honestly frozen crusts taste amazing. Plus it makes this recipe even easier!
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
COOK’S TOOLS – Ham and Cheese Quiche RECIPE
- baking sheet
- 10-inch skillet
- medium mixing bowl
- wire rack
- pie storage container (this is my all-time favorite storage container for all kinds of pies, quiche, and even cookies!)
- 1 9-inch frozen deep pie crust in aluminum tin
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 ½ cups diced ham
- 6 ozs Swiss Gruyere cheese shredded
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place oven rack in middle position, place cookie sheet on oven rack and preheat to 375 degrees F. Take pie crust out of freezer and let stand 10 minutes, then prick crust 25 times with fork. Place pie crust on the preheated cookie sheet in the oven, and bake for 9-11 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- While pie crust bakes, heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and edges begin to brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add onions, ham, and Swiss cheese to bottom of pre-baked pie crust.
- In medium bowl whisk together eggs, yolks, half and half, salt and pepper until combined. Pour mixture into pie crust. Bake quiche on top of cookie sheet 35-40 minute or until quiche is set and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Move quiche to wire rack and let cool 15 minutes before serving.