This Thanksgiving Salad recipe is great served as a side dish or as an accompaniment to a charcuterie board before the Thanksgiving meal is served.
The inspiration for this recipe came from a salad served at the Wildflower Bread Company. I could make a meal of just this salad. It’s so flavorful and loaded with roasted butternut squash, candied pecans, gorgonzola cheese, and cranberry vinaigrette.
When Thanksgiving rolls around and I start planning for Thanksgiving dinner, I always feel like my menu is lacking healthier elements. I know, I know it’s Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t mean that the entire meal has to be completely glutenous. And that’s why I came up with this Thanksgiving Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette recipe.
Let’s take a moment to talk about the fresh, cranberry vinaigrette for this harvest salad! The vinaigrette is the perfect complement to the field greens and roasted butternut squash. The fresh cranberries add a vibrant note to this vinaigrette and fall harvest salad.
Cook’s Note – Thanksgiving Salad:
- This harvest salad recipe calls for roasted butternut squash cubes and candied pecans. You can find those recipes here:
- I like to pass the cranberry vinaigrette with the salad rather than dressing the salad so that leftovers of this salad will keep for longer.
- The Cranberry Vinaigrette recipe makes more salad dressing that you will need for this salad. Leftover dressing will keep for up to 1 month in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To turn this salad into an entree salad, add some protein like turkey or chicken.
Cook’s Tools – Thanksgiving Salad:
ONE YEAR AGO: Cookie Dough Truffles
TWO YEARS AGO: Southwest Shepherds Pie
THREE YEARS AGO: Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries thawed if previously frozen
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Add the cranberries, vinegar, red onion, sugar, and mustard to a food processor or high-powered blender and process until smooth, about 10-15 pulses.
- With the processor running on low, slowly pour in the oil until well blended.
- Transfer the dressing to a medium bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve or cover and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve. It’s important to note that you should bring the vinaigrette to room temperature and give it a good whisk before serving.
- place the field greens in a large serving bowl. Add the roasted butternut squash, pecans, and gorgonzola. Toss until the toppings are evenly distributed.
- Serve, passing the cranberry vinaigrette separately.
*The Cranberry Vinaigrette recipe makes 1 1/2 cups of dressing.
**The nutrition information for this recipe is approximate, depending on the prepared ingredients that you use in this recipe.