The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This shortcake biscuit recipe makes the perfect vessel for berry shortcakes. The best part is they are made, start to finish, in just 25 minutes.
t costs $3.82 to make this recipe. The recipe makes six servings for about $0.64 per serving.
You may also enjoy this Strawberry Shortcake Roll Cake or this Strawberry Shortcake Roll Up Cake.
Right now, berries are a bargain. To take advantage of this, I’ve been adding berries to everything and making a lot of berry desserts.
During the summer, there is no better fresh berry dessert than shortcake; be it strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, or blackberry. But, of course, to have an excellent berry shortcake, you need a stellar vessel to serve it on.
I always have heavy cream in the fridge for making ice cream and these shortcake biscuits during the summer. It’s a quick and easy recipe to make, and it comes together in just 20 minutes. This is due mainly to the fact that there’s no butter to cut into the flour. Heavy cream is used instead in this shortcake biscuit recipe.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.64
Recipe Cost: $3.82
- 2 cups bleached all-purpose flour – $0.24
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar – $0.09
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder – $0.11
- ½ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream – $2.54
- 1 egg white – $0.25
- White sparkling sugar – $0.58
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the pricing for this recipe in May 2023.
How To Make Shortcake Biscuits
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card and recipe video below.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the heavy cream until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead it into a smooth ball for about 30 seconds.
- Pat the dough into a 1 ¼-inch thick circle on a floured surface.
- Use a 2 ¾-inch (or 3-inch) biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits. Place them on the prepared baking sheet. Pat out any dough scraps and cut again.
- Brush the biscuit dough with egg white and sprinkle with white sparkling sugar or granulated sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the biscuits turn golden brown.
- Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack to cool. Cut them in half and serve with whipped cream and berries.
- For a more gourmet look, I used sparkling white sugar to top off the biscuits. I love the look of the large crystals on the biscuits. If you don’t have sparkling sugar, you can use granulated sugar.
- The biscuits would be delicious and served with other in-season fruit, peaches, nectarines, and cherries.
- To make chocolate shortcakes, replace ½ cup of flour with cocoa powder.
- Add lemon zest and poppy seeds to your dough to infuse it with citrusy and nutty flavors to make lemon poppy seed shortcake biscuits.
Storage and Serving Tips
SERVE: Biscuits can be served warm or at room temperature.
STORE: The biscuits can be stored, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days. Before serving, pop them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften.
FREEZE: Wrap each cooled biscuit individually to prevent them from sticking together. You can use plastic wrap or aluminum foil for this step. Alternatively, you can place the biscuits in a freezer-safe resealable bag or airtight container. Freeze for 2-3 months.
DEFROST: Remove them from the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature.
Shortcake dough is closer to a biscuit than regular cake due to its crumbly texture. Shortcake dough is slightly sweeter than biscuit dough.
- Strawberry Lasagna
- Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
- Strawberry Tartlets
- Easy Strawberry Syrup
- Strawberry Cream Cake
- Dark Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Mixed Berry Crisp
- Strawberry Jello Pie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg white slightly beaten
- white sparkling sugar or granulated sugar for garnish
PREP OVEN AND BAKING SHEET:
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450°F.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
MAKE BISCUIT DOUGH:
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the heavy cream until a dough forms, about 30 seconds.
- Empty the dough onto a floured surface and knead it into a smooth ball. This will take about 30 seconds.
- On a floured surface, pat the dough into a 1 ¼-inch thick circle.
- Cut biscuits using a 2 ¾ inch (or 3-inch) biscuit cutter and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Pat out dough scraps into a 1 ¼-inch thick circle and cut again.
- Brush the biscuit dough with the egg white and sprinkle with white sparkling sugar or granulated sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown.
COOL AND FINISH:
- Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool.
- Cut biscuits in half and serve with whipped cream and berries.
- To keep these biscuits tender, it’s crucial you do not over-mix the batter. Mix until the dough just comes together.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Amanda Wren-Grimwood says
Love how quick and easy these biscuits are. Perfect for when you get a craving.