The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This recipe gives you everything you love about Chicken and Dumplings with an easier method, for days when we don’t have the time or energy to make everything homemade. The time-saving hack is using canned biscuits in a crockpot for an effortless weeknight dinner or Sunday supper.
The meal costs approximately $21.86 to make. It costs around $3.64 per serving, and the recipe makes six servings.
Easy Crockpot Chicken & Biscuits
Chicken and Dumplings is classic comfort food that is made simple with this crockpot recipe. Cooking from scratch is always my preference, but sometimes life happens, and you need a few good shortcuts up your sleeve to get you by.
This recipe has everything you love about homemade chicken and dumplings but with a few key shortcuts, like using a crockpot and canned biscuits! The meal is made in one pot for convenience and less mess and takes just 10 minutes of prep time.
You’ll love serving a comforting meal without the hassle and time it takes to make it from scratch.
Easy Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings Ingredients & Cost
Per Serving Cost: $23.64
Recipe Cost: $21.86
- 1 large sweet onion – $0.82
- 3 celery stalks – $0.75
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts – $6.96
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano – $0.05
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme – $0.18
- ½ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper – $0.02
- 10.5 oz cream of celery soup – $1.89
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup – $1.89
- 3 cups chicken broth – $3.00
- 3 cups frozen peas and carrots – $2.50
- 1 can of 8 refrigerated biscuits – $3.79
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the pricing for this recipe in November 2023.
Crockpot Chicken and Biscuits recipe tools
- Slow cooker
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Rolling pin
- Wooden mixing spoon
How to make Chicken and Dumplings with Canned Biscuits
- First, make the chicken mixture by placing the ingredients inside the crockpot.
- Cook on high for three hours.
- Next, roll out the biscuits and cut them into quarters. Stir the biscuits and veggies into the chicken mixture
- Finally, shred the chicken and cook for one more hour. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Chicken and Biscuits Crockpot recipe variations
- I prefer to use homemade cream of celery and cream of chicken soup, but you can use canned versions of both.
- If you do not like veggies in your chicken and dumplings, simply leave them out.
How to Store Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings with Biscuits
SERVE: You can keep this out for two hours before it needs to be covered and stored in the refrigerator.
STORE: Cover and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
FREEZE: Once the chicken and dumplings cool, remove it from the crockpot and transfer the mixture to a freezer-safe storage container or Ziploc bag. Freeze for 2-3 months.
DEFROST AND REHEAT: Defrost in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for 4-5 hours. Then, reheat on the stovetop in a large pot on medium heat until heated through. Or you can place the mixture in the crockpot and heat on low heat for 1-2 hours or until heated through.
Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe with Biscuits FAQs
Mix two tablespoons of cornstarch with two tablespoons of warm water to make a slurry. Add it to the slow cooker and stir it into the chicken and dumpling mixture. After about 15-20 minutes of cooking on high heat, it should thicken up.
Place the cut-up dumplings in the crockpot, stir them into the liquid, and cook for an additional hour. It would be best if you did this after the chicken has already been cooking for three hours. The dumplings will cook in the mixture during the last hour of cooking in the crockpot before you serve the meal.
Cook the dumplings with the crockpot lid closed. Cooking the dumplings while covered create steam within the crockpot that cooks the dumplings. Otherwise, they will become soggy and undercooked.
Absolutely! This is the beauty of using a slow cooker. Placing raw chicken directly in the slow cooker and then walking away while it does all the work is a beautiful thing! The chicken steams to juicy perfection.
This no-fail recipe keeps the chicken moist and juicy with the right amount of liquid covering the chicken. But be sure to not overcook the chicken. As the chicken cooks on low and slow, the collagen in the chicken has a chance to break down into gelatin. The gelatin becomes a flavorful liquid and is what helps create a juicy and tender chicken.
The dumplings should be floating near the top of the liquid as they become less dense as they cook. You can also gently press down on a dumpling. If it feels firm, without being hard or mushy, then it is done cooking. Or you can use an internal thermometer to check their temperature. It should read about 200 degrees F, when the dumplings are done cooking.
More Recipes like this Easy Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe:
- Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
- Beef Stew
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Cornish Game Hens
- Spare Ribs
- Kielbasa Kapusta
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Baked Ziti
- Hawaiian Haystacks
- Root Beer Pulled Pork
- Chipotle Pork Tacos
Crockpot Chicken and Biscuits
- 1 large diced sweet onion about 2 cups
- 3 large stalks celery cleaned and diced
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 10.5 oz cream of celery soup OR 1 ¼ cup of homemade
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup OR 1 ¼ cup of homemade
- 3 cups chicken broth ** see notes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups frozen peas and carrots thawed
- 1 tube of 8 refrigerated biscuits
PREP CHICKEN MIXTURE:
- Place diced onions and celery at the bottom of the crockpot insert.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the onions and celery.
- Sprinkle oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper on top of the chicken.
- Pour the condensed soup and chicken broth over the chicken.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or until the chicken registers 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
PREP AND COOK DUMPLINGS AND VEGGIES:
- Slightly roll out biscuits and cut them into quarters, strips, or bite-sized pieces.
- Stir biscuits into the chicken mixture, making sure they are all covered with liquid.
- Stir in the peas and carrots.
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred or cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Return the chicken to the crockpot.
- Continue cooking for 1 hour, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.