THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This amazing Coconut Rice recipe is so simple to make and it’s so versatile, too. It’s the perfect side dish for any Asian or tropical main dish. This Coconut Milk Rice is savory and slightly sweet and so addicting!
Something magical happens while the rice is cooking. The coconut cream that is in the coconut milk will caramelize during cooking, and it will leave sweet brown caramelized flecks in the rice. This is my FAVORITE part of the rice.
Cook’s Note – Coconut Rice:
- This rice is excellent served alongside my grilled Hawaiian Chicken with Pineapple Barbecue Sauce!
- This rice would also be fantastic with my Slow Cooker Hawaiian Haystacks with Avocado Crema.
- This recipe will give a nice, subtle coconut flavor to your rice. If you want a more pronounced coconut flavor, then try adding a drop of coconut extract when you add the rice to the pot.
- You can make this Coconut Milk Rice in your Instant Pot, just follow these directions:
- All all of the ingredients (minus the toasted coconut) to the instant pot and press the manual button and change it to 5 minutes. When the 5 minutes are up, let the rice depressurize for 5 minutes before releasing the pressure lock.
- If you don’t know how to toast coconut, you can find out how with my tutorial here.
Cook’s Tools – Coconut Rice
ONE YEAR AGO: Peach Crisp Frappe
TWO YEARS AGO: Loaded Peanut Butter Ice Cream
THREE YEARS AGO: Caprese Pasta Bake
Coconut Rice Recipe
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Jasmine rice
- Unsweetened toasted large flake coconut optional
- In a medium saucepan whisk together the coconut milk and water. Add in the butter, sugar, and salt and turn the heat to high.
- Once the mixture is boiling, stir in the rice, cover, and reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for 18-20 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked and no longer firm. Remove the rice from the heat (with the lid on) and steam for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve with toasted coconut as a garnish (optional).