This is the ultimate Cookie Dough Ice Cream recipe with cookie dough cream, cookie dough chunks, and chocolate pieces. Your family will be begging for you to make it for them again and again!
How to make cookie dough ice cream?
- First, mix the butter and sugar until it is combined. Add the flour, vanilla, and chocolate chips. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then shape it into a disk.
- Next, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate until it is firm. Now to make the ice cream: in a saucepan melt the butter. Keep stirring until the butter is deep golden brown and has a nutty aroma.
- Then, slowly stir in the heavy cream and continue to heat until simmering. Next, remove the mixture from the heat and set aside. In a separate bowl whisk together the brown sugar and egg yolks until pale in color. Then, add a small amount of the hot cream mixture to the bowl with the egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Next, slowly stir in the rest of the cream and the salt. Return then egg-cream mixture to the saucepan and heat until slightly thickened. Then remove it from the heat and pour the mixture through a mesh strainer. Whisk in the vanilla and whole milk. The last step is to cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Finally, after it has chilled, freeze it in an ice cream maker. To finish the ice cream recipe cut the disk of cookie dough into small chunks. When the ice cream is done churning stir in the chocolate chunks and the cookie dough chunks.
Is there raw cookie dough in this ice cream?
Yes! There is raw cookie dough in this ice cream recipe. However, the cookie dough is made without eggs making it safe to eat.
What does cookie dough ice cream taste like?
This ice cream recipe tastes just like its namesake. The cookie dough has a butterscotch-like flavor to it. Add in the extra chocolate chunks with the vanilla ice cream and cookie dough chunks and you’ve almost got cookie dough on top of cookie dough in every single bite!
My Pet Peeve
Raise your hand if one of your pet peeves with store-bought ice cream is the lack of cookie dough! I mean seriously, you should get a nice little nugget of cookie dough with every bite, amirite?! Well, that’s why I made sure that this recipe is loaded with golden nuggets of cookie dough throughout.
What I love about the cookie dough chunks in this recipe is that you take the time to brown the butter which gives the dough a nice nutty, almost butterscotch flavor to it. Trust me, it’s well worth the extra effort!
- This ice cream will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month, but I guarantee that it won’t last that long!
- Instead of chocolate chunks, you can also use chocolate shards, roughly chopped chocolate, and even chocolate chips.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
For the cookie dough:
- 5 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
For the ice cream:
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chunks
MAKE COOKIE DOUGH:
- Mix the butter and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl until smooth and combined. Add the flour, and then the vanilla and chocolate chips. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes and then shape it into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 30-60 minutes.
MAKE ICE CREAM:
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat melt the butter. Keep stirring and heating until the butter is deep golden brown in color and has a nutty aroma. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream and continue to heat until simmering. Then, remove the mixture from the heat and set aside.
- Whisk together the brown sugar and the egg yolks in a medium bowl until pale in color. Add a small amount of the hot cream mixture to the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in the rest of the cream and the salt.
- Return the egg-cream mixture to the medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until slightly thickened and the temperature reads 170-175 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl. Whisk in the vanilla extract and the whole milk. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Cut the disk of cookie dough into small chunks.
- Once the ice cream is done churning, transfer it to an air-tight ice cream container and stir in the chocolate chunks and the cookie dough chunks. Store in the freezer until firm, about 3-4 hours.
This recipe was first published on November 7, 2010. I have since updated the recipe and pictures. The original picture is below.
Latest posts by Jillian (see all)
- The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe - August 19, 2019
- How to Reheat Quiche Tutorial - August 17, 2019
- Easy Broccoli Quiche Recipe – less than $5.00 to make! - August 17, 2019