The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This saucy, tangy, and succulent Honey Mustard Chicken recipe is a tasty weeknight meal that everyone will not just love but devour! Give yourself 18 minutes, and dinner is served with this quick and easy recipe.
This meal serves four and costs $6.51 to make. The cost per serving is $1.62.
I love to serve this Honey Mustard Chicken over this Healthy Mashed Cauliflower.
Honey Mustard Chicken is not just for weeknight dinners. It’s elegant enough for entertaining, too.
The recipe is delicious and some serious comfort food! This recipe is everything you love about classic comfort food but made healthier.
Let’s take a moment to talk about the luscious honey mustard sauce. The recipe purposefully makes more sauce than you think you’ll need because, trust me, it will be G-O-N-E by dinner’s end!
My kids were pouring it over their mashed cauliflower and sopping up puddles of it with pieces of bread. My kids are little, 6 and 3, and this sauce wasn’t too overpowering for their little palates.
This Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe is a one-pan dish full of flavor, easy, and somewhat healthy. All things that make up a great recipe!
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.62
Recipe Cost: $6.51
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch – $0.01
- 1 tablespoon water – $0.00
- 1.5 pounds thinly sliced chicken breasts – $3.32
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil – $0.08
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth – $0.37
- ⅓ cup honey – $0.96
- ¼ cup yellow mustard – $1.47
- 3 Tablespoons stone ground mustard – $0.12
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter – $0.18
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Honey Mustard Chicken
- First, add the cornstarch and water to a small bowl and stir together.
- Next, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Then season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to the pan to cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Place the cooked chicken on a plate and set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken broth. Simmer the broth while you scrape up any bits for the bottom of the skillet.
- Next, whisk in the honey, mustards, and cornstarch mixture. Cook for about two minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Whisk in the butter pieces until melted and then season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Finally, put the chicken back in the pan.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken to cook for another 1-2 minutes before serving.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- This recipe can be doubled, just cook the chicken in two separate batches.
Storage and Serving Tips
SERVE: I like to serve this chicken dish with my Mashed Cauliflower or Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes. You can keep the chicken out for about two hours before it needs to be covered and stored in the refrigerator.
STORE: Place leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
FREEZE: Once cooled, place the chicken and sauce in an airtight container and freeze for 1-2 months.
DEFROST: Defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
REHEAT: Reheat the honey mustard chicken and sauce in a pan over medium heat until heated through. You may need to loosen the sauce with a bit of water or chicken broth.
Cook’s Tools and Special Ingredients:
- prep bowl
- large skillet
- wire whisk
- stone-ground mustard
Honey Mustard sauce uses simple ingredients to create a sweet and tangy sauce that goes perfectly with chicken. You will need water, cornstarch, chicken broth, honey, yellow mustard, stone ground mustard, and butter to make the sauce.
Honey Mustard is a combination of honey and mustard. Surprise, right?! It is sweeter than mustard but more tangy than honey. So it is the perfect blend of sweet and tangy!
More Chicken Recipes
- Copycat Monterey Chicken Recipe
- Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Thighs
- Old School Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Classic Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Easy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Divan Casserole
- Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos
Honey Mustard Chicken
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1.5 pounds thinly sliced chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 3 Tablespoons stone ground mustard or any other mustard with whole grain mustard seeds
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 8 small pieces
- freshly chopped parsley optional
- In a small prep bowl add cornstarch and water. Stir until combined.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil.
PREP AND COOK CHICKEN:
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, and add chicken to the pan.
- Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes, or until golden, then flip and cook 2-3 additional minutes. Move chicken to a plate; set aside.
MAKE HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE:
- Reduce heat to medium and add chicken broth. Bring broth to simmer, and use a wire whisk to scrape up any golden bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk in honey, both mustards, and cornstarch mixture. Cook until sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- Add butter pieces and whisk until melted. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken back into the pan and nestle it into the sauce.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken and cook until the chicken is heated through about 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish chicken with parsley and serve over mashed cauliflower.