THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is so delicious and so easy to make. I know it will become an instant hit at your house and your family will ask for it week after week!
Disclosure: This post for Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy an item after clicking my link.
Your family is going to love how flavorful and delicious this soup is and you’re going to love how easy it is to make! This soup comes together in a snap and it’s something you can leave on your menu plan all year round.
Cook’s Note – Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup:
- If you don’t like Italian sausage, then you can leave it out altogether or use chicken instead.
- Where I live in Japan fresh herbs are wicked expensive ($4 for a ¼ ounce of basil!). I started growing my own herbs at home to offset the costs. Whether fresh basil is wicked expensive where you live or if you don’t have any on hand, you can use 2 teaspoons of dried basil in its place. Just add it to the pot when you add in the Italian seasoning.
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage hot, mild, or sweet
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil plus more for garnish
- Line a large plate with 3 sheets of paper towel, and set aside. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat add the Italian sausage and use a wooden spoon to break the meat apart into chunks. Cook until browned and completely cooked thru, about 5-6 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the onion and cook until translucent and starting to brown on the edges, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, tortellini, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper and increase the heat to high. Bring the mixture to a low boil, and then reduce the heat to low and cook for 8 minutes. Stir in the sausage, cream, Parmesan, and basil and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with shredded Parmesan cheese and chopped basil.