I have been making this Creamy Vegetable Soup for over 15 years, and it never fails to please. It’s easy to make, feeds a crowd, and simply comforting. There’s nothing like a creamy bowl of the best vegetable soup in a bread bowl to ease the winter blues.
Creamy Vegetable Soup
This soup never fails, and even the pickiest toddler (i.e.my son) LOVES this vegetable medley soup! Our favorite way to serve it is in bread bowls as pictures above! Grab a spoon, folks because I’m diving in!
Once the weather becomes cool there’s one food that I always crave, soup! Creamy, velvety and chock-full of vegetables is where it’s at for me. I love the sweet simplicity of this Creamy Vegetable Soup, and its one of my favorite meals to prepare on Sunday afternoons while I indulge in family time.
Cook’s Note – Creamy Vegetable Soup Recipe:
- This vegetable soup will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- When you reheat this soup, you may need to loosen it with a little chicken broth.
- Feel free to use sweet potatoes or yams instead of potatoes in this recipe.
- This vegetable soup is great served with bread, biscuits, or my personal favorite, bread bowls.
Cook’s Tools – Best Vegetable Soup:
TWO YEARS AGO: Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread
THREE YEARS AGO: Club Sandwich
Creamy Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups russet potatoes scrubbed, peeled, and diced
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli cut into florets, and stalks cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- ½ cup butter
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese
MAKE THE SOUP BASE:
- Add the olive oil to a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Saute the onions, celery, and garlic until the onions are lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, potatoes, and carrots. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes and carrots are tender (but not mushy), about 15-20 minutes.
MAKE THE WHITE SAUCE:
- While the vegetables simmer, prepare the white sauce. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk constantly until the flour is incorporated and the mixture turns a light brown, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until combined and smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook until the mixture thickens and turns velvety about 5-8 minutes.
FINISH THE VEGETABLE SOUP:
- Once the sauce thickens and the vegetables are tender, add the white sauce to the vegetables. Stir to combine. Add in the broccoli and parsley and cover the soup. Let the soup cook until the broccoli is tender but NOT mushy, about 5-10 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper. Give it one final stir and serve with shredded cheese and parsley to garnish.
This post first appeared on FFF on January 6, 2011. The pictures have since been updated, but one of the originals are down below.