The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
I’ve been whipping up this Creamy Vegetable Soup for 15+ years, and it always hits the spot. It’s a total crowd-pleaser and so easy to make! There’s nothing better than a warm, comforting bowl of the best veggie soup in a bread bowl to cure those winter blues.
It costs approximately $9.16 to make this soup. The recipe makes eight servings, which costs about $1.14 per serving.
Creamy Vegetable Soup
Served in bread bowls, this vegetable medley soup is a fail-proof dish that even the pickiest eaters (like my son) adore! So grab a spoon and dig in with me!
Soup is always on my mind, no matter the season! Creamy and filled with veggies, this recipe is a favorite. I love making this on Sundays while spending time with my family. The sweet simplicity of this soup hits the spot every time.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.14
Recipe Cost: $9.16
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil – $0.14
- 1 large onion – $0.82
- 1 cup celery – $0.18
- 3 large garlic cloves – $0.12
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth – $3.23
- 3 cups russet potatoes – $0.75
- 1 cup carrots – $0.43
- 1 large head of broccoli – $1.33
- ¼ cup fresh parsley – $0.22
- ½ cup butter – $1.12
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour – $0.06
- 4 cups milk – $0.76
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the pricing for this recipe in April 2023.
How To Make Creamy Vegetable Soup
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Then add the onions, celery, and garlic and saute for about five minutes.
- Next, add the chicken broth, potatoes, and carrots and bring the mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for about fifteen to twenty minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Then whisk in the flour and whisk for about one to two minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, whisking until smooth. Allow the mixture to simmer for about five to eight minutes while it thickens.
- Then, stir the white sauce into the vegetables and broth.
- Add in the broccoli and parsley and cook for about five to ten minutes.
- Finally, season with salt and pepper and serve with shredded cheese and parsley.
- In this recipe, you can opt for sweet potatoes or yams instead of regular potatoes.
- This vegetable soup is great served with bread, biscuits, or, my personal favorite, bread bowls.
Serving and Storage Tips
SERVE: As with most recipes with dairy products in them, you shouldn’t leave this soup out for longer than 2 hours.
STORE: This vegetable soup will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When you reheat this soup, you may need to loosen it with a little chicken broth.
FREEZE: This soup doesn’t freeze and defrost well because of its creamy base.
If you need to make the soup more creamy, try whisking in more flour until it reaches the desired consistency.
Be sure to saute the veggies first to add a depth of flavor. And then, I love to season with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh parsley to add more flavor.
More Soups And Stews
- Butter Bean Soup
- Potato Corn Chowder
- Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Soup
- Easy Tomato Soup with Basil
- Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Meatball Stew
- Ham and Corn Chowder
- Butter Bean Soup
- Mediterranean Lamb Stew
- Instant Pot Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli Soup Copycat
Creamy Vegetable Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups russet potatoes scrubbed, peeled, and diced
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli cut into florets, and stalks cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- ½ cup butter
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese to taste
MAKE THE SOUP BASE:
- Add the olive oil to a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Saute the onions, celery, and garlic until the onions are lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, potatoes, and carrots. Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes and carrots are tender (but not mushy), about 15-20 minutes.
MAKE THE WHITE SAUCE:
- While the vegetables simmer, prepare the white sauce. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly until the flour is incorporated and the mixture turns a light brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until combined and smooth.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the mixture thickens and turns velvety about 5-8 minutes.
FINISH THE SOUP:
- Once the sauce thickens and the vegetables are tender, stir the white sauce into the soup base.
- Add in broccoli and parsley and cover the soup.
- Let the soup cook until the broccoli is tender but NOT mushy, about 5-10 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Give it one final stir and serve with shredded cheese and parsley to garnish.