The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
I love grilling New York strip steak. See how buttery delicious, and straightforward it is to make in this How To Grill Strip Steak tutorial.
These Grilled Strip Steaks cost about $52.15 to make (you can make them much cheaper when New York strip steaks go on sale). It makes 6 hefty servings which are about $8.70 per serving.
Nothing beats grilling in the summertime, and there is nothing better than a grilled steak. One of the most popular steaks to grill is a strip steak, also known as a New York strip steak.
If you are nervous about grilling, I will show you in my step-by-step directions how to quickly grill your strip steak perfectly every time. You can use this method for both bone-in and boneless strip steaks.
With a simple marinade, this steak is tender, juicy, and buttery! It is genuinely restaurant-quality steak. Use the notes in the recipe card below to know the internal temperature based on your preference (rare, medium-rade, medium, and well-done).
Become the grill master this summer by grilling this strip steak recipe all summer long!
Grilled Strip Steak Ingredients and Cost
Per Serving Cost: $8.70
Recipe Cost: $52.15
- 6 New York Strip Steaks – $50.34
- 1 recipe steak marinade – $1.69
- ¼ cup vegetable oil – $0.12
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Grill Strip Steak On A Gas Grill
- First, marinate the steak in a resealable Ziploc bag or container. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours before grilling.
- Next, let the steak sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and cover.
- Grill the steaks for 5 minutes on one side before flipping and grilling for 3-7 minutes.
- Finally, after finished grilling, let the steaks rest for ten minutes before serving.
- You can use bone-in or boneless strip steak for this recipe.
- Vegetable oil or canola oil can be use to oil the grill grates.
Grilled Steak Storage & Reheating Tips
SERVE: Once the steaks are grilled, tent them with foil for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. You can keep the steaks out for about an hour before they need to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: Keep leftovers in a covered container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
FREEZE: Wrap the steak in two layers of plastic wrap and foil. Then place it in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw the steak and then follow the reheating directions below.
REHEAT: To reheat cooked steak, place the steak on a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Place in a 250-degree oven for about 20-30, or until the internal temperature reaches 100-110 degrees F.
- Liquid measuring cup
- Grilling tools
- Instant-read thermometer
Grilled Strip Steak On A Gas Grill
- 6 1-inch thick New York Strip Steaks bone-in or boneless
- 1 recipe steak marinade
FOR OILING GRILL:
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Trim the steak of any large pieces of fat. Doing so will cause fewer flareups and burnt edges.
- Add steak to resealable Ziploc bag.
- Pour marinade over the steaks, seal the bag, and shake the bag to distribute the marinade evenly.
- Refrigerate for 1-4 hours before grilling.
PREP STEAK AND GRILL:
- Take the steak out of the refrigerator and let them sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the gas grill to medium-high heat and cover.
- Before putting the steaks on the grill, scrape the grates (preferably with a bristle-less grill brush).
- Then, soak two pieces of paper towel with vegetable oil. Oil the grill grates with a paper towel.
- Place steak on the grill and cover. For 1-inch steaks, grill for 5 minutes on the first side, then flip and grill for 3-7 minutes on the second side depending on your desired doneness.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to tell when steaks are done. You want an internal temperature of 120-130 degrees for rare, 130-140 degrees for medium-rare, 140-150 degrees for medium, and 160-170 degrees for well-done.
REST STEAKS AND SERVE:
- Take steaks off the grill and tent with foil for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.