The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This easy Steak Marinade For Grilling makes flavorful and juicy steaks every time. It’s perfect for strip steak, skirt steak, flank steak, sirloin, kabobs, and more.
Table of contents
You will love this Easy Steak Marinade for Grill
A marinade can take a plain dry tasting steak to the next level. You can genuinely have restaurant-quality steak at home with minimal effort. With only 5 minutes of prep time, you can yield excellent results.
This marinade recipe is not only easy but also full of flavor, using staple pantry ingredients, giving you a tender and juicy steak. This will be your new go-to marinade every time you have some steaks for grilling!
Simple Steak Marinade ingredients and cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.28
Recipe Cost: $1.69
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil – $0.58
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce – $0.18
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce – $0.20
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard – $0.04
- 2 large garlic cloves – $0.10
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onions – $0.23
- 2 Tablespoons steak seasoning – $0.30
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley – $0.06
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
Tools needed for Grilled Steak Marinade
- Mixing bowl
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
Steak Marinade for Grill variations
- Instead of fresh parsley, you can use one teaspoon of dried parsley.
- You can use either Dijon or yellow mustard.
- Instead of fresh garlic, you can use 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
How to make a Steak Marinade for Grilling
***For complete recipe instructions and a recipe video, see the recipe card below.
- First, add all of the ingredients into a bowl.
- Whisk the ingredients together until all combined.
- Place the steak in a Ziploc bag or container and pour the marinade over the steaks.
- Seal the bag or container and shake to cover the steaks evenly.
- Finally, refrigerate for 1-4 hours before grilling.
How to cook Marinated Steak
Prepare and Grill Steak:
- Let the marinated steak sit at room temperature for 30 minutes after removing it from the refrigerator.
- Preheat the gas grill to medium-high heat and cover it.
- Scrape the grates with a bristle-less grill brush before placing the steaks on the grill.
- Oil the grill grates using two pieces of paper towel soaked with vegetable oil.
- Place the steaks on the grill and cover.
- For 1-inch steaks, grill the first side for 5 minutes, then flip and grill the second side for 3-7 minutes based on your preferred doneness.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature: 120-130°F for rare, 130-140°F for medium-rare, 140-150°F for medium, and 160-170°F for well-done.
Rest Steaks and Serve:
- Remove the steaks from the grill and tent them with foil for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
How to store Steak Marinade for Grilling
Once the marinade is made, you can store it in a covered container or large Mason jar in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
Best Steak Marinade for Grilling FAQs
No rule says you have to marinate steaks before grilling. However, it adds flavor and helps to tenderize the meat if you can marinate them before grilling.
Steaks should marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour. You can do it for up to four hours. However, I would not recommend letting them marinate for much longer, as the acidity of the marinade will cause the proteins in the steak to break down over time. This will result in mushy meat instead of tender.
I do not recommend poking holes in steak before marinating them. Poking holes allows the juices to drain instead of staying in the steak. We want the juices to remain in the steak to help tenderize the meat and give it the juicy flavor we all love.
The best way to marinate steak for maximum tenderness involves a few key steps:
– Choose the Right Cuts: Opt for tender cuts of steak, such as ribeye, striploin, tenderloin, strip, or sirloin. These cuts have good marbling and are naturally more tender.
– Acidic Component: Include an acidic ingredient in the marinade, such as citrus juice (lemon, lime, or orange), vinegar (balsamic, red wine, or apple cider), or soy sauce. Acids help to break down the muscle fibers, making the meat more tender.
– Oil: Add oil (olive oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil) to the marinade to help keep the meat moist and prevent it from drying out during cooking.
– Flavorful Ingredients: Include various tasty ingredients like garlic, onions, ginger, herbs, spices, and soy sauce to enhance the taste of the steak.
– Marinating Time: Marinate the steak for an appropriate amount of time. For tender cuts like strip, ribeye, or striploin, 30 minutes to 2 hours is usually sufficient. Longer marinating times (4-12 hours) are recommended for tougher cuts like flank or skirt steak.
– Refrigeration: Always marinate the steak in the refrigerator to prevent bacterial growth and maintain food safety.
– Pat Dry: Before cooking, remove the steak from the marinade and pat it dry with paper towels. Excess moisture on the surface can hinder browning and searing.
Remember that marinating can add flavor and tenderness to the steak but won’t magically transform tough cuts into tender ones. If you have a tougher cut of steak, consider using a meat tenderizer or a slow-cooking method to achieve optimal tenderness.
More Grilling Recipes
- Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Carne Asada Street Tacos
- Butter Smoked Corn on the Cob
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken
- Grilled Steak Marsala
- Easy Cilantro Thai Chicken
- Grilled Spinach Artichoke Flatbread
- Honey Garlic Sticky Buns
- Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- Grilled Pineapple
Easy Steak Marinade Recipe for Grilling
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onions
- 2 tablespoons steak seasoning I used McCormick
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl or large measuring cup.
- Whisk until combined.
- Add steak to resealable Ziploc bag or container.
- Pour marinade over the steaks, seal the bag or container, and shake the bag gently to distribute the marinade evenly.
- Refrigerate for 1-4 hours before grilling.