The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Instant Pot Velveeta Mac and Cheese recipe is so creamy and delicious that you’ll never want to make stovetop again. It’s great for a meal or as a side to any lunch or dinner entrée.
For under $10, you can enjoy this meal. It costs $9.77 for the entire recipe or $1.22 per serving. The recipe serves eight as a side dish or four as a main dish.
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese With Velveeta
I have not met many people who do not love homemade mac and cheese. I do not even bother with the box stuff anymore; it just doesn’t compare.
But sometimes, you need an excellent home-cooked meal without the stress. This Instant Pot Velveeta Mac and Cheese is the perfect solution.
This is a one-pot meal that takes just minutes to cook, and you don’t have to pre-cook the noodles and then bake the mac and cheese. Instead, the Instant Pot does the work for you!
This recipe calls for a handful of ingredients, the star being the Velveeta. Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is good, but when it is made with Velveeta, it is great!
The sauce is cheesy, creamy, and delicious. Use the Instant to make this Mac and Cheese recipe to simplify your meal-time plans for just today, at least!
INGREDIENTS AND COST
Per Serving Cost: $1.22
Recipe Cost: $9.77
- 8 Tablespoons unaltered butter – $0.72
- 16 oz elbow macaroni – $1.38
- 2 ½ cups water – $0.00
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt – $0.06
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper – $0.02
- 1 – 1 ½ cups milk – $0.12
- 24 ounces Velveeta cheese – $7.47
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, set the Instant Pot to saute and melt the butter. Then turn off the Instant Pot.
- Next, add the pasta shells, water, sea salt, and pepper to the pot.
- Stir the ingredients.
- Place the lid on the pot and close it. Set the Instant Pot to cook for six minutes, doing a quick release as soon as the time is up.
- Finally, stir the noodles and add in the Velveeta cubes.
- Stir until the cheese is almost fully melted.
- Add the milk one cup at a time to reach the desired consistency.
- Serve as a main dish or side dish.
- Instead of milk you can use half-and-half or evaporated milk.
- If Velveeta cheese isn’t your thing, then use 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese and 4 ounces of chopped American cheese.
SERVE: You can keep the Instant Pot Velveeta Mac and Cheese out for about 90 minutes before it needs to be covered and stored in the refrigerator.
STORE: Once it has reached room temperature you can put it in an airtight container and store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
FREEZE: Once the mac and cheese has cooled to room temperature, place it in a freezer-safe container of storage bag and freeze for 2-3 months.
DEFROST: Defrost at room temperature for 3-4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
REHEAT: I recommend heating it up in the Instant Pot with the Sauté feature, or on a stove top on medium-low, but adding a little butter or milk to the mixture. As it sits the gooey cheese will be soaked up and toughen up a bit, so you need to soften it and add some moisture.
- Instant Pot
- Wooden mixing spoon
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring cups and spoons
When you make Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot, there is no baking in the oven. All of the cooking is done in the Instant Pot, which makes this a great one-pot recipe.
Adding milk to the noodles and Velveeta creates the creamy sauce we all love. Start with one cup of milk and add more if needed.
Wait until after the cooking time is done, and you have released the pressure to add the cheese and milk to the noodles. If you add the cheese to the pot and cook it, the cheese will curdle during cooking time.
MORE SIDE DISHES
- Copycat Chick-fil-A Sauce
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
- Twice Baked Potato
- Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
- Tri-Color Pasta Salad
- Cucumber Tomata Feta Salad
- Brown Sugar and Honey Glazed Carrots
- Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Homemade Crispy Baked Oven Fries
Instant Pot Velveeta Mac and Cheese
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 oz elbow macaroni
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1 ½ cup milk I used 2%
- 24 ounces Velveeta cheese cubed
GARNISHES: (all optional)
- Chopped parsley
- Bacon bits
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Using the Sauté feature on the Instant Pot melt the butter. Once melted, hit Cancel to shut off.
- Add the pasta shells, water, sea salt, and pepper to the pot.
- Mix everything and place the lid on and ensure the steam valve is shut.
- Using the manual setting, set the Instant Pot to cook for 6 minutes, and then do a quick release as soon as the cook time is complete.
- Give the noodles a quick stir and then add the cubed Velveeta, stirring to melt the cheese almost fully.
- Add the milk starting with 1 cup. If you desire it to be creamier you can stop there or add a little more milk to thin the mac and cheese out a little. Note: If needed you can turn the Instant Pot on Sauté to help melt the cheese.
- Garnish with parsley, bacon bits or cheddar cheese, all optional.
- Serve immediately.