The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Indulge in the tangy sweetness of Key Lime Pie. This easy homemade recipe combines zesty lime filling with a buttery graham cracker crust.
This pie costs about $13.55 to make. The recipe makes ten servings for approximately $1.36 per serving.
For another delicious Key Lime recipe, try out these Key Lime Bars.
Key Lime Pie Recipe
During the summer, key lime pie is my go-to dessert for special dinners, barbecues, and potlucks. It’s a classic summertime dessert that everyone always loves!
I love this key lime pie recipe because it’s easy and incredibly delicious. I also love the addition of the toasted coconut to the crust and topping. When fresh raspberries are in season, I like serving them alongside the pie.
I love this pie’s fresh, sweet, and tangy tastes. The sweetness comes from the condensed milk, with the tartness coming from the key lime juice.
The crust adds a nice crunchy texture and a hint of buttery flavor. Adding the creamy and smooth filling to the homemade pie crust creates a deliciously refreshing pie you will love all summer.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.36
Recipe Cost: $13.55
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs – $0.99
- 1 sweetened flaked coconut – $1.08
- 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar – $0.18
- 6 tablespoons butter – $0.84
- 8 large egg yolks – $1.68
- 1 ¾ cups sweetened condensed milk – $3.87
- 1 ¼ cup key lime juice – $1.78
- 1 cup heavy cream – $1.54
- ¼ cup powdered sugar – $0.10
- 4 ounces cream cheese – $1.49
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the pricing for this recipe in May 2023.
How To Make Key Lime Pie
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Then, mix together the crumbs, coconut, sugar, and butter with your hands until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of the pie plate and bake for ten to twelve minutes. Allow the pie crust to cool while you make the filling.
- Next, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and lime juice until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for thirty to thirty-five minutes. Then turn off the oven and leave the pie in for five more minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool for two to three hours.
- Beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Then cut the cream cheese into eight pieces and slowly add the cream cheese piece by piece until thoroughly combined.
- Finally, evenly spread the whipped cream over the pie. Garnish with toasted coconut and lime slices.
Key Lime Pie Recipe Variations
- When fresh raspberries are in season, I like to serve them alongside the pie.
- Make individual-sized pies by using a muffin tin or small tart pans. Adjust the baking time accordingly.
- Instead of whipped cream, top the pie with a fluffy meringue. Whip egg whites with sugar until stiff peaks form, spread it over the filling, and bake until golden.
- Layer sliced fresh strawberries on top of the crust before pouring in the lime filling. Alternatively, fold diced strawberries into the filling for bursts of fruity flavor.
- Make a gluten-free crust using crushed gluten-free graham crackers. Ensure that all other ingredients, including sweetened condensed milk, are gluten-free.
- To make this pie vegan, substitute condensed milk with coconut milk and use vegan butter for the crust. Replace eggs with a vegan egg substitute or silken tofu for a creamy texture.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
SERVE: Garnish each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and lime slices for added flavor and presentation. Serve chilled or at room temperature, depending on your preference.
STORE: The pie can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out. It’s best to store the pie without the whipped cream and add it just before serving to maintain its freshness.
FREEZE: The pie can be frozen for longer storage. However, it’s important to note that the texture may change slightly once thawed. Before freezing, wrap the pie tightly with plastic wrap, followed by a layer of aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn and maintain its flavor. The pie can be stored for up to 2-3 months in the freezer.
THAW: When ready to serve, transfer the frozen pie to the refrigerator and allow it to thaw overnight. Thawing it gradually in the refrigerator will help retain its texture and prevent any moisture buildup. Once thawed, you can add whipped cream and garnish it just before serving.
My key lime pie is filled with a few simple ingredients. You only need egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and key lime juice. The combination is pure magic!
You can use regular limes instead of key limes for this recipe. However, the taste and texture of the pie may differ slightly.
Key limes have a distinct flavor that gives the pie filling a unique and tangy taste. Regular limes are less acidic with a milder flavor, so the filling will not taste as vibrant and zesty as when made with key limes.
The pie should be set with a slight jiggle in the middle when you gently shake the pie dish. Look for the pie to have a golden yellow color. It has been overcooked if the filling is overly dark or too firm.
- Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie
- Semi-Homemade Dutch Apple Pie
- Buttermilk Pie
- Perfect Deep Dish Apple Pie
- Cherry Crumble Pie
- Frozen Reese’s Peanut Butter Pie
- Rocky Road Pie
- Boston Cream Pie Recipe
- Frozen Chocolate Raspberry Pie
- No-Bake Lemon Icebox Pie
Key Lime Pie
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST:
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut toasted
- 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter melted
KEY LIME PIE FILLING:
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 ¾ cups sweetened condensed milk about 1 ½ 14 ounce cans
- 1 ¼ cup key lime juice
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut toasted
- Lime slices for garnish optional
FOR GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine crumbs, coconut, sugar, and butter in a medium bowl. Use your hands to mix evenly until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press crumbs into the bottom and sides of a 9.5-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown.
- Move the crust to a wire rack to cool while you make the key lime filling; keep the oven on.
FOR KEY LIME PIE FILLING:
- Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and lime juice in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Pour mixture into baked graham cracker crust. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the pie jiggles slightly. Turn off the oven and leave the pie in for another 5 minutes.
- Move pie to wire rack and cool completely, about 2-3 hours.
FOR WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING:
- Add heavy cream and powdered sugar to a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Cut cream cheese into eight pieces and set mixer to low. Slowly add cream cheese, piece by piece, and mix until fully incorporated.
TO FINISH PIE:
- Spread whipped cream evenly over the pie. You can even pipe rosettes with a Wilton 1M tip.
- Garnish with toasted coconut and lime slices (optional).
- Chill until ready to serve.