The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole Recipe is perfect for weeknight family dinners. It’s an instant family favorite and some serious comfort food!
This Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole is super easy to make. Let me show you how!
- Gather and prep the ingredients.
- Bake the potatoes.
- Layer on the rest of the ingredients. Pop the casserole back into the oven to melt the cheese. Then serve!
Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 6 cups russet potatoes scrubbed and cut into ½-inch pieces (from about 5 medium potatoes)
- 8 ounces bacon
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup green onion sliced thin (both green & white parts)
- sour cream
- Sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 9x13-inch pan (or other 3 quart pan) with nonstick cooking spray. Add potatoes to pan. In a small bowl add butter, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined. Pour butter mixture over potatoes and toss until potatoes are evenly coated. Cook potatoes for 45-50 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- WHILE POTATOES ARE IN OVEN: Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces. Cook in large skillet over medium heat until done, about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain on paper towel-lined plate. Leave all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in skillet. Cook chicken pieces on medium heat until fully cooked, about 8 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven, and turn off oven. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese evenly over potatoes. Then layer chicken, bacon, and green onions on top. Sprinkle remaining cheese and return to oven for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Serve with sour cream and green onion.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Nummy casserole Jillian! This is one of our family’s favorite combos. Potatoes, bacon and cheese are delicious together
What a great casserole concept! Who doesn’t love baked potatoes?
Wow, how scrumptious looking, we had a baked little potato casserole on the weekend but this would be perfect with chicken added!! Thanks for the great recipe!!
Debi @ Life Currents says
Wow this looks so good! My family will love this easy dinner! Thanks!
Carolyn West says
How is it that I’ve never made something like this for my family before? I think we have a winner here. #client
felicia | Dish by Dish says
I’d love to include your chicken casserole in a casserole round up I’m doing for Parade Magazine.
If you’re fine with that, could I use one of your gorgeous photos with a link back to your original post (https://foodfolksandfun.net/2015/09/loaded-baked-potato-casserole/)?
Thanks so much!
You bet! Thanks, Felicia!
Danielle K says
Made this tonight and my family gobbled it up! My husband told me to add it to our regular rotation and even my littles (3 & 1 yrs) ate their whole serving! Thanks for the delicious recipe!
I am SO glad you and your family liked it. It’s a family favorite at my house, too!
Kristen B says
I made this tonight for us , family of 5. This is sooooooo good!! The only thing I did differently was I boiled my potatoes, cut them up, and fried them in the bacon fat with a spoon of garlic and one yellow onion and black pepper. Then did as told and casseroled it all up excluding the green onion. Layers with cheddar cheese , bacon and sour cream.. there is none left.. lol ty so much for this idea !
I’m so glad this dish was a hit for you! 🙂
LeeAnne Chandler says
Question for you – (haven’t made it yet) – looking for a recipe that can be frozen and then baked. Have you tried this frozen and then baked? (Group hiking trip – need to feed 5 hungry people!) Should any changes to the recipe be made? Thank you!
I have not tried freezing this recipe yet. BUT, by looking at the ingredients I can tell that it will freeze well. The bacon might be a little chewy though. You’ll need to increase the baking time by about 10-15 minutes if baking it from the frozen state. Enjoy and have a great hike!