THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is an easy breakfast or brinner that’s ready in just 60 minutes. This recipe serves 12 and costs $11.12 to make. That’s just 93¢ per serving!
To make this casserole, you need Tater Tots, eggs, half and half, BACON, ham, cheese, and seasonings. That’s it. That’s all that you need to make this delicious, creamy, and tasty breakfast casserole.
You can make the casserole in one hour, or you can opt to make it the night before, place it in the refrigerator, and then bake it in the morning. Either way, you’ll have a delicious tater tot casserole on the table in no time!
I love a good hearty breakfast. But honestly, during the week, I just do not have the time to make it. Luckily we have the weekends where time slows down just a bit. The weekends give me a chance to breathe, relax, and spend some time cooking the most important meal of the day.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
This Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole works for breakfast, brunch, and even brinner! If I do have the time to eat a big breakfast during the week, this is one of those breakfast casseroles that can be made beforehand and left overnight in the fridge. Score!
Often my extended family will have a gathering for brunch, and you better believe I am showing up with my Tater Tot Casserole. Everyone loves it, and it’s the first dish to go every single time.
Let’s be real, what’s not to love? This breakfast casserole has bacon, ham, tater tots, and cheese. These are all of my favorite breakfast foods. It’s cheesy and a classic comfort meal.
Ron Swanson, from Parks and Rec, said it best when he said:
“There has never been a sadness that can’t be cured by breakfast food.”
Yes! I agree, Ron! Breakfast casseroles are the key to happiness! Especially breakfast casseroles made with ham AND bacon!
Can this be prepped the night before?
YES! It’s an excellent Breakfast Casserole recipe and one of my favorite ways to make it! To make this an overnight breakfast casserole, all you need to do is complete steps 1-7. Bake time will remain the same.
May I make substitutions?
Substitutions are always welcome to fit your family’s needs, and of course, if you are short on a few ingredients, this recipe is flexible. Common substitutions for this recipe include:
- Half n Half – you can sub milk or heavy cream.
- Bacon bits vs. Cooked bacon – I get it, you are short on time or just do not keep bacon on hand. You can use bacon bits, but you may lose some of the savory flavors that freshly cooked bacon provides.
- Sub Bacon/Ham for Chicken/Turkey bacon/sausage
Should I cover the tater tot casserole with foil?
This recipe will not need foil while baking. By leaving off the foil, your tater tots will crisp up on the top slightly, and you will not need to worry about the top layer of cheese burning since the last layer goes on at the end.
How long can you refrigerate leftovers?
Refrigerate leftovers for up to 2 days. Make sure you cover it with foil or plastic wrap.
How to make Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole:
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Next, mix eggs, half and half, and seasonings.
- Then place ham on the bottom of the dish and cover with ¾ of the cheeses.
- Place the tater tots in neat rows to cover the cheese and then cover it with the egg mixture.
- Finally, bake it for 45 minutes, then top with reserved cheese and bacon and cook for another 5 minutes.
More Breakfast Recipes:
- Best Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Best Ever Blueberry Scones
- Breakfast Sandwich
- Breakfast Waffle Tacos
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
- Easy Broccoli Quiche
- Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- Green Chile Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Overnight Breakfast Enchiladas
- Strawberries & Cream Cheese Blintzes
- Sticky Buns with Bacon and Caramel Glaze
- Vanilla Dutch Baby Pancake
You can cut this recipe in half and prepare it in a smaller 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish. You will reduce the cooking time by 5-10 minutes.
How much will this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe cost to make?
RECIPE COST: $11.12
COST PER SERVING: $0.93
NOTE: The recipe prices are used calculating name brand products from grocery websites. The actual cost of the recipe varies depending on what you have stocked in your pantry and current grocery prices.
1 (32 oz) bag of frozen tater tots – $2.96
15 eggs – $1.50
¼ cup half n half – $0.19
6 slices bacon – $1.26
1/2-pound deli or dinner ham – $1.47
8 oz bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese – $2.56
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese – $1.11
1/8 teaspoon salt – $0.01
Dash of pepper – $0.01
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder – $0.02
1/2 teaspoon onion powder – $0.02
1/8 Creole Seasoning – $0.01
Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 15 large eggs
- ¼ cup half and half
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ Creole Seasoning optional but highly recommend for flavor
- ½ pound deli or dinner ham sliced or cubed into small pieces
- 8 oz bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 32 oz bag of frozen tater tots
- 6 slices bacon cooked crisp and crumbled into pieces
TOPPINGS: (all optional)
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced mushrooms
- Diced bell peppers
- Chopped fresh spinach
- Sour cream
PREHEAT OVEN AND PREP CASSEROLE DISH:
- Move oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13in casserole dish with cooking spray.
MAKE EGG MIXTURE:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, half n half, and seasonings until combined.
- Arrange the diced ham on the bottom of the dish and spread to cover evenly. Cover the ham with ¾ of the cheeses.
- Arrange the tater tots in neat rows to completely cover the cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over the tater tots and then refrigerate overnight or until ready to bake. If you're baking right away, then you don't need to refrigerate the casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Top with the reserved cheese and crumbled bacon and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
COOL AND SERVE:
- Let cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Serve with toppings (all optional).
This Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe is an easy breakfast or brinner that’s ready in just 60 minutes. This recipe serves 12 and costs $11.12 to make. That’s just 93¢ per serving!