This Shirley Temple drink recipe is perfect for year-round enjoyment. It’s super simple to make and it’s such a fun party drink for kids and grownups alike. Come find out how to make a Shirley Temple with my easy recipe.
Shirley Temple Drink
I remember that I was around 8-years-old the first time I ever had a Shirley Temple Drink. My family and I were at a wedding with an open bar. I remember my sister and I made at least a dozen trips each to the bar because we loved the sweet drink and of course the maraschino cherries!
It’s been quite a few years since my first Shirley Temple drink and I still find myself ordering them at restaurants and parties. Sure they’re mocktails originally made for kids, but there’s something about the super sweet cherry drink that has me keeps me coming back for more. Maybe it’s nostalgia or maybe it’s the high fructose corn syrup…either way, I’m hooked!
I love whipping up these little Shirley Temple drink mocktails any time of the year but especially during the summer and holiday season. They’re so pretty and grownups and kids alike just love them! Other mocktails that my family and I enjoy year-round are Virgin Pina Coladas, Cranberry Limeade Sparkling Mocktail, and Nonalcoholic Moscow Mule.
Traditional Shirley Temple Drink:
When the Shirley Temple drink was first invented sometime during the 1930s was originally served with ginger ale, a splash of grenadine, and garnished with a maraschino cherry.
The Modern Sherry Temple that is served at most restaurants today is often served with lemon-lime soda or lemonade and a splash of grenadine and garnished with a maraschino cherry. Sometimes a splash of orange juice is added, too.
What do you need to make a Shirley Temple?
- Grenadine syrup
- Lemon-lime soda (like Sprite or 7Up)
- Maraschino cherries
How do you make a Shirley Temple?
These drinks are super simple to make, and you can often whip them up in just 1 minute.
- First, fill a tall glass halfway with ice.
- Then, pour the grenadine over the ice followed by the lemon-lime soda.
- Finally, garnish with maraschino cherries and serve.
Cook’s Note – Shirley Temple Recipe:
- Sometimes I like to turn this drink into a punch for the holidays, here’s how:
- First, add 2 pounds of ice to a punch bowl.
- Then, pour 8-10 ounces of grenadine syrup over the ice followed by a 2-liter bottle of lemon-lime soda.
- Next, add a bunch of maraschino cherries into the punch bowl.
- Finally, float some scoops of lemon sherbet scoops in the punch bowl and serve!
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
Cook’s Tools and Ingredients:
Shirley Temple Drink
- 3 Tablespoons grenadine
- 7-8 ounces lemon-lime soda Sprite or 7-Up
- Maraschino cherries for garnish optional
- Fill a tall glass halfway with ice. Pour the grenadine over the ice followed by the lemon-lime soda.
- Garnish with marching cherries and serve.
- Virgin Pina Colada Recipe
- Italian Soda
- Cranberry Limeade Sparkling Mocktail
- Pineapple Smoothie
- Christmas Punch
- Best Pizza Sauce
- Cheese Steak Sloppy Joe
- Hungarian Goulash Recipe
- Brownie Brittle Recipe
- Bread Bowl Recipe
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Reese’s Rice Krispie Treats