These Meatball Sub Bites are a fun twist on the classic sub. They’re not nearly as messy, but every bit as good! They’re also great for game day, holidays, and potlucks, too!
I LOVE meatball sub sandwiches, but what I don’t love is the mess that’s inevitable with them. It seems like there isn’t a way to get through eating them without the bun getting soggy at some point. Consequently, the meatballs and sauce fall out the bottom, and then you have a big sad mess. Still delicious, but a mess.
These Meatball Sub Bites are inspired by meatball subs but without the mess. They’re the perfect portable little bite, and great for holidays or game day. Plus, they are irresistibly delicious!
Cook’s Note – Meatball Sub Bites:
- Instead of using frozen roll dough, you can use frozen bread dough instead. If you go this route, you will need to defrost the dough for longer, probably more like an hour, and you’ll have to cut the dough into 24 3/4 ounce portions.
More Tasty Appetizers:
- Swedish Cocktail Meatballs
- Sweet and Sour Cocktail Meatballs
- Dr. Pepper Hot Wings
- Grape Jelly Meatballs
Easy Meatball Sub Bites
- 12 frozen bread dough dinner rolls about 1 ½ ounces each
- 12 ounces fully cooked meatballs thawed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 cup marinara sauce warmed
- Keep dough in package and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to thaw and soften.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat, and set aside.
- Cut each roll in half. Wrap each piece of dough completely around a meatball (make sure no part of meatball is showing), and pinch dough firmly on seams to seal. Place on prepared baking sheet, seam side down. Repeat with remaining dough and meatballs.
- Cover baking sheet with kitchen towel, and rise until almost doubled in size, about 1 ½ - 2 hours.
- When dough is almost doubled, move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 15-16 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Brush tops with olive oil, sprinkle with cheese and basil. Serve with warmed marinara sauce.