The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This is the best recipe for Pumpkin Bread! It calls for one can of pumpkin and makes two loaves. It’s perfectly spiced and easy to make, too!
This Pumpkin Spice Bread recipe makes 20 servings and costs about $8.62 to make. That’s just $0.44 per serving.
The Best Pumpkin Spice Bread Recipe
Fall is here, and that means it’s Pumpkin Bread season! No fall is complete without my mom’s Spiced Pumpkin Bread! It uses one can of pumpkin and makes two loaves.
This is my mom’s recipe for Pumpkin Bread that she has made for the last 35+ years. It’s utterly perfect, and there’s no need to search for another recipe!
Why You’ll Love Spiced Pumpkin Bread:
- Tried and true recipe spaning decades.
- Irresistible fall flavors and aroma.
- Nostalgic and traditional treat.
- Versatile for breakfast, snack, or dessert.
- Moist and tender texture.
- Great to share or gift.
- Potluck favorite.
Pumpkin Pie Bread ingredients
Per Serving Cost: $0.44
Recipe Cost: $8.62
- ¾ cup butter – $1.20
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar – $1.08
- 4 large eggs – $1.08
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree – $2.99
- ⅔ cup water – $0.00
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour – $0.42
- 2 teaspoons baking soda – $0.02
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder – $0.06
- ½ teaspoon table salt – $0.01
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice – $0.26
- ⅔ cup chopped walnuts or pecans – $1.50
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the pricing for this recipe in August 2023.
How to make a Pumpkin Spice Loaf
*For complete recipe instructions and a recipe video, see the recipe card below.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice into a medium bowl. Set this dry mixture aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until the mixture becomes light and fluffy, which should take about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, pumpkin, and water to the creamed mixture. Mix everything until well incorporated.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing until they are combined, and there are no more pockets of flour.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared loaf pans.
- Bake the loaves for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the loaf pans from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool.
- Allow the pumpkin bread to cool in the pans for at least 2 hours before slicing.
Pumpkin Spice Bread Recipe Variations and Substitutions:
- Vegan Option: Replace butter with plant-based butter or coconut oil, and use flax eggs instead of regular eggs.
- Gluten-Free: Substitute all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend or almond flour for a gluten-free version.
- Healthier Sweeteners: Use coconut sugar, maple syrup, or honey instead of granulated sugar for a healthier alternative.
- Chocolate Twist: Mix 1 cup of mini chocolate chips or chunks into the batter for a delightful chocolate twist.
- Cream Cheese Filling: Create a cream cheese filling by mixing cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla to layer between the batter.
- Streusel Topping: Top the batter with a streusel mixture of flour, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon before baking for added texture.
- Dried Fruits: Add chopped dried fruits like cranberries or raisins for a sweet and tangy burst.
- Pumpkin Seeds: Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top of the batter for added crunch and a touch of fall aesthetics.
- Nut-Free Option: Omit the nuts if you have nut allergies or prefer a nut-free version.
- Whole Wheat Flour: Substitute a portion of all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour for a heartier texture.
- Muffins or Mini Loaves: Instead of a loaf, use the same batter to make muffins or mini loaves for individual servings.
Pumpkin Spice Bread Serving and Storage Tips
SERVE: Serve slices plain, with softened butter, or with a thin layer of cream cheese. This recipe makes two large loaves. Save one for your family and give one away to a friend or neighbor!
STORE: The pumpkin bread will keep covered at room temperature for up to 5 days.
FREEZE: First, ensure the bread has cooled completely. Wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap, and then place it in an airtight container or freezer bag to prevent freezer burn. Label with the date and freeze for up to three months.
THAW: Remove the bread from the freezer and let it defrost at room temperature while still wrapped. Once fully thawed, remove the plastic wrap, and enjoy the pumpkin spice bread at room temperature or briefly warm it in the oven for a fresh-baked taste.
How to serve this Pumpkin Spice Bread Recipe
Enjoy this pumpkin bread in various ways: plain, with softened butter, or with a delicate spread of cream cheese.
How to store a Pumpkin Spice Loaf
You can store the pumpkin bread covered at room temperature. I like to keep it in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic or foil.
How long is Pumpkin Bread good for?
You can store the bread n an airtight container or wrapped in plastic or foil for about five days.
Pumpkin Pie Bread FAQs
To keep pumpkin bread from drying out, follow these tips:
Proper Storage: Store the pumpkin bread in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic. This helps prevent air from getting in and drying out the bread.
Don’t Overbake: Be mindful not to overbake the pumpkin bread. Test for doneness with a toothpick, and remove it from the oven as soon as the toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
Add a Damp Paper Towel: If the pumpkin bread is already slightly dry, place a slightly damp paper towel over the slices when storing it to add some moisture.
Freeze Unused Portions: If you don’t plan to consume all the pumpkin bread within a few days, consider freezing the extra slices in an airtight container or freezer bag to preserve their moisture and freshness.
To prevent pumpkin bread from getting soggy on the bottom, follow these steps:
Cool Completely: Allow the bread to cool completely on a wire rack before storing or wrapping it. If it’s still warm when wrapped, condensation can form, leading to a soggy bottom.
Proper Storage: Store the pumpkin bread in a dry, airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic. Avoid containers with lids that fit too snugly, which can trap moisture and create a soggy environment.
Elevate: When storing the pumpkin bread in a container, place a sheet of parchment paper or wax paper under the bread to create a barrier between the bread and the container, preventing condensation from affecting the bottom.
Don’t Rush Cutting: If slicing the bread while still warm, you risk releasing any trapped steam that could moisten the bottom. It’s best to let the bread cool for at least two hours.
To determine if pumpkin bread is done, follow these steps:
Check the crust: It should be golden brown.
Toothpick test: Insert a toothpick in the center; it should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
Finger tap test: The top should feel firm and spring back.
Internal temperature: It should reach around 200°F in the center.
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Banana Cinnamon Muffins
- Apple Muffins with Crunchy Brown Sugar Topping
- Almond Coffee Cake Ring (Tea Ring)
- Irresistible Pumpkin Honey Muffins
- Mom’s Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Monkey Bread Muffins
- Pumpkin Biscuits
- Shortcut Apple Fritter Bread
Pumpkin Spice Bread Recipe
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 15 ounce pumpkin puree
- ⅔ cup water
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ⅔ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Move the oven rack to the middle position.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare two 9×5-inch loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice into a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add the eggs, pumpkin, and water and mix until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined and there are no more flour pockets.
- Divide the batter evenly among the two prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Transfer loaf pans to a wire rack to cool. Cool for at least two hours before slicing.
Make 2 loaves of pumpkin bread.