The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
These Apple Muffins are perfect for snacks and breakfast on the go. They’re generously spiced and have an irresistible crunchy brown sugar topping!
Disclosure: This post for Easy Apple Muffins with Crunchy Brown Sugar Topping recipe includes affiliate links. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
Do you know what I love most about September besides back-to-school time?
All things apples!
In my kitchen apples are for September, and pumpkin is for October. What about November you might ask? In my kitchen November is for apples AND pumpkin! Statera in omnibus. Balance in all thing, right?!
A few of the apple recipes that I’m cooking up in my kitchen during September and November:
- Apple Crisp (my all-time favorite apple dessert)
- Caramel Apples
- Dutch Apple Pie
- Fried Apples
- Apple Dump Cake
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Bacon and Apple Stuffing
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Deep Dish Apple Pie
What I love most about this Apple Muffin recipe is that it’s SO easy to make and it’s great for breakfast on the go. My kids love them and the house smells heavenly while they’re baking.
You know how sometimes muffins are more cake than muffin? I’m not going to lie, cakey muffins are not my favorite. These Apple Muffins, however, are ALLLLL muffin, just how I like ‘em! What really sets this Apple Muffin recipe apart from the competition is the crunchy brown sugar topping! The brown sugar melts and then caramelized while baking. This crunch adds an incredible texture to these apple muffins that keep folks coming back for more!
Cook’s Note – Apple Muffins:
- The apple varieties that I like using the most in this recipe are Granny Smith, Gala, Empire, and Honey Crisp.
- These muffins will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- I like to save a little money by making my own spice blends at home. Check out my recipe for Apple Pie Spice.
Cook’s Tools – Apple Muffin Recipe:
ONE YEAR AGO: Easy Broccoli Quiche
TWO YEARS AGO: Peanut Butter Frosting
THREE YEARS AGO: Breakfast Taco Bar
Apple Muffins with Crunchy Brown Sugar Topping
FOR THE TOPPING:
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons apple pie spice
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and chopped apples; about 2 large apples
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together brown sugar and apple pie spice until combined, set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and apple pie spice; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter and sugars and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy and pale in color, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and mix until just combined.
- Add half of the buttermilk to the bowl and mix until combined. Add half of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Repeat with the remaining buttermilk and flour mixture.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold in the apples.
- Use a 1/2 cup scoop to scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in their tins for 10 minutes, and then remove the muffins from the tins and cool on wire racks until warm. Serve.
More Muffin Recipes:
This Apple Muffin recipe first appeared on FFF on March 24, 2011. I recently updated the recipe slightly and the pictures for ascetic purposes. Here’s the original photo below.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Rebecca Hubbell says
I’m loving all things apple right now and the brown sugar topping on these muffins is superb!
I agree, it really adds a great texture to the muffins.
My kids are going to LOVE these!
They will be perfect for lunchboxes or an after school snack!
Awesome, I’m so glad you’ll get good use out of this recipe!
We made these with the baby and they were great
Yay, I’m so glad you liked them! 🙂
YUM! These muffins are delicious!
Loving the sound of that crunchy toppping. These muffins are giving me all the autumn vibes.
Hello apple season! That’s the perfect recipe to start off right, can’t wait to make these muffins 🙂
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry says
The sound of that brown sugar topping has got my mouth watering! These muffins look super tasty – I’ll definitely have to make them with the kids.
Just the right time of year to start buying apples by the bushel and start making delicious apple recipes. This is first on my list!
Marc @ NoRecipes says
I love apple muffins and that brown sugar topping looks incredible! I wish I could find buttermilk here.