Samoa Dessert Lasagna is a layered dessert that’s inspired by the beloved Samoa cookie! It starts with a coconut shortbread, then layers of creamy chocolate cream cheese, caramel pudding, whipped cream, are added. Finally it’s topped off with toasted coconut, hot fudge and caramel!
I don’t know about you, but I L*O*V*E Samoa cookies. The combination of shortbread, chocolate, caramel, and coconut is irresistible! For Spring I wanted to make a dressed up dessert inspired by Samoa cookies. I used my mom’s 25-year-old recipe for Lemon Lush as the basis for this Samoa Dessert Lasagna. This Samoa Dessert Lasagna recipe is a little labor intensive, but SO worth it. Let me show you how to make it!
How to Make Samoa Dessert Lasagna:
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil leaving an overhang on all sides.
- Add the shortbread dough to the pan.
- Pat the shortbread dough into an even layer. Prick the dough 30 times with a fork.
- Bake shortbread until it just starts to brown. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Smooth the cream cheese mixture over the shortbread crust.
- Smooth pudding mixture into an even layer.
- Smooth Cool Whip into a thin, even layer.
- Sprinkle with the toasted coconut.
- Drizzle with hot fudge and caramel sauce. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Slice and serve the Samoa Dessert Lasagna!
Cook’s Note – Samoa Dessert Lasagna:
- This Samoa Dessert Lasagna will keep, covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days. This means you can make it ahead of time if you serve it for Easter or a dinner party.
- The shortbread crust can sometimes be a little difficult to slice through. Use the foil overhangs to lift the dessert lasagna from the pan and slice on a cutting board.
- You can use store-bought caramel sauce for this dessert, or use my homemade salted caramel sauce recipe. Just omit the salt!
Samoa Dessert Lasagna
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup cold salted butter
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- Pudding Layer
- 2 3.4oz packages vanilla instant pudding
- 3 ¼ cups milk
- ½ cup caramel sauce at room temperature.
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup jarred hot fudge at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- ½ cup sweetened coconut toasted
- ½ cup hot fudge sauce
- ½ cup caramel sauce
- Crust: Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 325 degrees F. Line 9x13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving overhang on all sides.
- In medium bowl sift together the flour and powdered sugar. Using a pastry cutter or 2 forks, cut in butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in coconut. While still in the bowl, knead the dough until smooth, about 10 times. Pat the dough evenly into your prepared baking pan and prick with a fork 30 times. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until light brown in color. Cool for at least 30 minutes on a wire rack.
- Pudding Layer: Heat caramel sauce in microwave until warm (approximately 90 degrees), about 30-60 seconds. In medium bowl empty pudding, milk, and warmed caramel sauce. Whisk together until combined and thickened, about 2 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip, and chill until ready to assemble dessert.
- Cream Cheese Layer: In bowl of a stand mixer, add cream cheese, hot fudge and powdered sugar. Mix on medium speed until combined and smooth, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of Cool Whip and mix on low until just combined.
- To assemble: Spread the cream cheese mixture in an even layer over cooled crust. Smooth pudding in even layer, followed by cool whip. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, then drizzle with hot fudge and caramel sauce.
- Chill for at least 2 hours (or overnight) before serving.