This Christmas Lasagna is packed with so much flavor thanks to the Italian sausage, bell peppers, basil, and the blend of 3 kinds of cheese! It’s my family’s favorite sausage lasagna, and I know it will be your family’s, too!
Christmas will be here before you know it and so will holiday guests. Today I have an easy and festive lasagna recipe to share with you that will feed a crowd: Sausage and peppers Holiday Lasagna. I love the combination of hot Italian sausage and peppers; it’s comforting, livens the taste buds, and warms the soul on a winters day. That’s why those recipe elements work so beautifully in this Italian Sausage Lasagna recipe.
I like making lasagnas when I have guests in town because they make a TON of food, they’re easy to throw together, and you can prep them ahead of time. All you need is a leafy salad and some garlic bread or garlic cheese breadsticks and you’ve got yourself a well-rounded meal!
To make this recipe festive I used some of the chopped red and green bell peppers to make a Christmas tree. You can use whatever colored bell peppers you can find or have on hand.
Cook’s Note – Italian Sausage Lasagna:
- The holidays can be a busy time, to make things easier prep the lasagna in the morning and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it.
- This lasagna also freezes well. Just defrost it in the refrigerator overnight and then add 20-30 minutes of cooking time to the cooking time in the instructions below.
Cook’s Tools – Italian Sausage Lasagna Recipe:
ONE YEAR AGO: Cornbread Casserole
TWO YEARS AGO: Copycat Avalanche Cookies
THREE YEARS AGO: Cranberry Bread
Italian Sausage Lasagna Recipe
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese divided
- 24-ounce jar pasta sauce
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Boil the lasagna as per the package instructions, drain and set aside.
- If you’re making the Christmas tree design on top of your lasagna as I did, then reserve 1/3 of each bell pepper. Dice the remaining parts of the bell peppers, and set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat brown the sausage for 2 minutes, breaking chunks apart with the back of a wooden spoon. Add in the diced bell peppers, onions, and garlic powder and cook until the sausage is browned and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- While the sausage is cooking, use a mixer to beat the cream cheese for 1 minute.
- With the mixer on low, add the milk in a steady stream to combine.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and continue to mix until light and creamy and there are no more lumps, about 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and lightly toss with your fingers. Reserve 1-1/2 cups (half of the cheese), and set aside. Add the remaining cheese to cream cheese mixture and mix until the cheese is evenly distributed.
- Drain the fat from the sausage mixture, and stir in the sauce, water, and basil until combined. Spread ⅓ of the sausage and sauce mixture into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan; layer with 3 noodles and half the cream cheese mixture. Add another layer of 3 noodles, then half the remaining sausage mixture, followed by 3 more noodles. Layer the remaining cream cheese mixture, the last 3 noodles, sausage mixture and reserved 1½ cups of cheese. Use the reserved bell peppers to make your Christmas tree design.
- Cover the lasagna with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Let the lasagna cool for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped basil.
This Christmas Lasagna recipe first appeared on FFF on December 11, 2013. I’ve recently updated the pictures, and you can see some of the originals below.