This Cheesy Pierogi Lasagna recipe with bacon and chives is everything you love in a pierogi but in the perfect potluck-friendly casserole.
It costs about $9.41 to make eight servings of this recipe. The cost per serving is $1.17.
Casseroles are great for busy weeknight dinners or Sunday dinners with the family. In addition to this Cheesy Pierogi Lasagna, a few of my favorites include this Broccoli Cauliflower Cheddar Casserole, Old School Chicken and Rice Casserole, Quinoa Taco Casserole, and this Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole.
If you love hot, cheesy potato pierogies, you’ll love this Cheesy Pierogi Lasagna recipe with bacon and chives! It’s everything you love in a pierogi but the perfect potluck-friendly casserole.
My family L-O-V-E-S fresh, homemade pierogies, but let’s face it they’re a bit labor-intensive. That’s why I came up with this Cheesy Pierogi Lasagna recipe!
The lasagna noodles provide a similar taste and texture to pierogies, plus they’re a lot less work! This pierogi lasagna is SO much easier to make than potato pierogies! It’s also a great dish to bring to potlucks!
For this pierogi casserole with lasagna noodles, I added all of my family’s favorite cheese pierogi ingredients plus some crispy bacon. But let’s face it, everything is better with bacon! So if you’re a pierogi purest, leave the bacon out.
This dish is the definition of comfort food! It is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes and feed a crowd at the same time!
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.17
Recipe Cost: $9.41
- 9 lasagna noodles – $0.54
- 8 ounces bacon – $1.68
- 1 medium onion – $0.70
- 4 cups mashed potatoes – $3.33
- 4 ounces cream cheese – $0.50
- ¼ cup fresh chives – $0.10
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese – $2.56
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Pierogi Lasagna
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9×13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, boil and drain the lasagna noodles according to the package directions.
- Then, using a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat for about 5-8 minutes until the bacon is crispy. Place the bacon on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Leave one Tablespoon of bacon grease in the skillet and add the onions. Saute the onions for about 6-8 minutes until the edges start to brown.
- Add the mashed potatoes, cream cheese, chives, onions, half of the cooked bacon, and one cup of shredded cheese to a large bowl.
- Stir together and season with salt and pepper.
- Then, lay three cooked lasagna noodles on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Layer ⅓ of the potato mixture.
- Then layer ⅓ cup shredded cheese.
- Repeat these layers two more times.
- Finally, cover the pan with foil and bake for thirty minutes. Then remove the foil, top with the remaining bacon, and bake for an additional five minutes. Allow the dish to cool for ten minutes before slicing, adding any garnishes, and serving.
***For complete instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Instead of cream cheese you can use farmer’s cheese which is traditional, but sometimes hard to find, in pierogi.
- If you can’t find chives, in a pinch you can use dried chives or green onions.
- You can use low-fat cream cheese, but please don’t use fat-free cream cheese.
- Use a high-quality sharp cheddar cheese (I like Tillamook or Kerrygold) in this recipe. You can use orange or white cheddar, just make sure that it is freshly shredded cheese instead of pre-shredded packaged cheese.
Serving and Storage Tips
SERVE: You can keep the lasagna out for about two hours before it needs to be covered and stored in the refrigerator.
STORE: Cover and store the lasagna in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
FREEZE: This recipe does not freeze and reheat well so I do not recommend freezing it.
REHEAT: Place slices of lasagna in the microwave and heat for 45 seconds on high heat. Heat for 15-30 additional seconds as needed until heated through.
MAKE AHEAD: You can assemble the lasagna up to 24 hours in advance. Just cover it and store it in the refrigerator. You will need to add 5-10 minutes to the cooking time.
Pierogi, traditionally are dumplings that are filled with potatoes, cheese, meat, and veggies. It is fabulous but a little on the time and labor-intensive side. This recipe for Cheesy Pierogi Lasagna is a twist on the classic recipe that will save you time and effort in the kitchen.
- Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Chicken Divan Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- Green Chile Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Cheesy Tex-Mex Tater Tot Casserole
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces bacon about 8 slices, sliced thin
- 1 medium yellow onion diced small
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives plus more for garnish
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese about 8 ounces
- salt and pepper to taste
PREP OVEN AND PAN:
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 9 by 13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
MAKE PIEROGI LASAGNA ELEMENTS:
- Boil and drain noodles as per package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crispy, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate, and drain off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add onions and sauté until translucent and edges begin to brown, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add mashed potatoes, cream cheese, chives, onions, half of the cooked bacon, and 1 cup of shredded cheese to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
ASSEMBLE PIEROGI LASAGNA:
- Lay 3 cooked lasagna noodles on the bottom of the prepared 9×13 pan, followed by ⅓ potato mixture and ⅓ cup shredded cheese.
- Repeat 2 more times finishing with shredded cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake 30 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Remove foil, top with remaining bacon, and bake 5 more minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve. Garnish with additional chives.
- Since this pierogi lasagna is very rich I like to serve it with a nice leafy green salad or steamed vegetables.
- If you’re feeling super decadent, you can serve this lasagna with a dollop of sour cream.