This Sausage and Peppers Pasta recipe is a quick and easy version of the slow-cooked Italian classic. It’s vibrant, delicious, and great for busy weeknights!
This recipe makes four servings for about $2.65 per serving. Therefore, the approximate cost of the entire recipe is $10.60.
In addition to this Sausage and Peppers Pasta, some of my favorite sausage and pepper recipes include these Italian Sausage Burgers, Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers, Sausage and Pepper Sloppy Joes, and Sausage and Peppers Stuffed Peppers.
Sausage and Peppers Pasta
I heart sausage and peppers! I grew up in New England, where amazing “mom & pop” Italian restaurants were on every corner. My favorite item to order at Italian restaurants is always Sausage and Peppers—whether served on a grinder or over pasta.
Since moving away from New England, I have a newfound appreciation for the fantastic Italian food found there. In all of the places I’ve lived in since Connecticut (Utah, New Mexico, South Korea, Virginia, Arizona, California, and Japan), nothing compares.
This Sausage and Peppers Pasta recipe is my attempt at a “quick and easy” version of the classic. I love it, and it hits to spot when my Sausage and Peppers craving kicks in. It’s also one of my go-to meals when we expect company, and I need a quick and easy dinner recipe.
It is time to step up your pasta night with this Italian Sausage and Peppers Pasta. This simple dish is not only a hearty and filling dish, but it is also delicious! The pasta noodles soak up the flavorful sauce, and this dish is packed with zesty sausage, peppers, and onions.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $2.65
Recipe Cost: $10.60
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil – $0.28
- 3 large garlic cloves – $0.15
- 1 ½ pounds Italian sausage – $5.22
- 2 large green bell peppers – $1.16
- 1 large yellow onion – $0.62
- 14 ½ ounce can tomato sauce – $0.64
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes – $0.72
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil – $0.30
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano – $0.05
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds – $0.18
- 16 ounces penne pasta – $1.28
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Sausage and Peppers Pasta
- First, heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat and then brown the sausage for about eight minutes.
- Then, add the garlic and saute for about a minute. Next, add the peppers and onion and cook for about four to six minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and fennel seeds to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the skillet with a lid and let it simmer for eight minutes before removing the lid and cooking for an additional two minutes.
- Finally, pour the sausage and peppers mixture over the cooked pasta and garnish with mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and basil before serving.
***For complete recipe instructions and a recipe video, see the recipe card below.
- Use your favorite type of Italian sausage in this recipe: hot, mild, or sweet. I usually use a combination of hot and sweet.
- This recipe calls for green bell peppers, but you can use any color.
Serving and Storage Tips
SERVE: Serve the pasta with grated Parmesan, mozzarella, and fresh chopped basil. After about 2 hours, the pasta needs to be covered and stored in the refrigerator.
STORE: Leftover sausage and peppers pasta can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Just note that the veggies won’t be as crisp as the first day you had them.
FREEZE: Once cooled, place the pasta in an airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months.
THAW: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or for about 4 hours at room temperature.
REHEAT: Reheat in a microwave-safe dish in 1-minute increments until heated through, stirring after each minute.
First, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Then, add the peppers and onion and cook until tender. Stir occasionally. This process will take about four to six minutes.
If you do not have oil, you can use water instead. The outcome will vary slightly without oil but will work in a pinch.
Absolutely! Bell peppers are a great source of Vitamin C. They make a healthy addition to this pasta dish.
More Quick and Easy Recipes
- Boiled Chicken Drumsticks
- Ground Beef Lettuce Wraps
- Thai Peanut Noodles
- Spicy Noodles
- Tomato Basil Pasta
- Classic Shrimp Scampi Pasta
- Easy Pasta Primavera
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Citrus Cream Pasta
Sausage and Peppers Pasta
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ pound Italian sausage cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large green bell peppers cut into strips
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 14 ½ ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces penne pasta cooked as per package direction
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Grated Parmesan
- Freshly chopped basil
MAKE SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS:
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet or pan over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, occasionally stirring, until brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Add the peppers and onion and cook until tender, occasionally stirring about 4-6 minutes.
- Once the peppers and onions are just tender, add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and fennel seeds to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes, and then uncover and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour the sausage, peppers, and tomato mixture over the cooked penne pasta.
- Top with mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, and fresh basil, and serve!