This creamy Chicken Enchilada recipe is some serious comfort food! The enchiladas are filled with chicken, cheese, corn, and green chiles and covered with a green chile cream sauce (made without canned soup!).
This recipe serves 8 and costs $9.21 to make. That’s just $1.15 per serving.
Growing up in the east we simply did not eat much Mexican food. In fact, there wasn’t even a Mexican restaurant in our town until I was about 10 years old! What kind of deprived childhood is that, am I right?!
So, you can now understand how my move to New Mexico during my college years was truly life-changing. I developed a deep love for all things Mexican and especially green chiles. I love to cook with them.
Chicken enchiladas are the perfect meal to add green chiles too. They are creamy, cheesy, and are sure to satisfy all your enchilada needs. Enchiladas are actually pretty simple to make.
You can even use a rotisserie chicken as I did, or use this Bulk Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe to help save some time during the meal prep.
Ingredients and Cost
RECIPE COST: $9.21
PER SERVING COST: $1.15
NOTE: The recipe prices are used calculating name brand products from Walmart’s website. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what your pantry is already stocked with and current grocery prices.
- 8 soft flour tortillas $1.12
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese $1.11
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken $1.56
- 1 cup frozen corn $0.42
- (3) 4 oz cans diced green chiles $2.94
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter $.30
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin $0.03
- 3 Tablespoons flour $0.06
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander $0.09
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth $0.50
- 3/4 cup sour cream $1.08
How do you make chicken enchiladas with green chile cream sauce?
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then mix together 1 cup of the cheese, chicken, corn, and 1 can of chopped green chiles.
- Next, place the tortillas in the microwave on high for about 15 seconds. Then, place the chicken mixture inside each tortilla, roll them up, and place them seam side down in a pan.
- To make the sauce, first, melt the butter in a saucepan and then mix in the flour, cumin, and coriander and cook it for 1 minute.
- Next, add the chicken broth and stir until it is combined. After the sauce has thickened, stir in the sour cream and the two other cans of green chiles.
- Finally, pour the green chile sauce over the top of the enchiladas and bake for 10 minutes. Lastly, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the chicken enchiladas and bake for another 15 minutes. Let it cool before serving.
How do you wrap enchiladas?
To fold an enchilada, you will first fold one side over and then the other side. Place them seam side down on the pan, to ensure it does not come open.
How long can you keep chicken enchiladas in the fridge?
Eat by Date is a great resource to use when needing to know how long various foods are good for. Chicken enchiladas are good for 3-5 days when stored properly in an airtight container.
Why do enchiladas get soggy?
Soggy tortillas are the worst, right?! One tip to help avoid this is to quickly fry the tortillas in hot oil before you put the filling inside the tortillas and roll them up. This helps to keep the tortillas from absorbing the sauce, therefore, making them become soggy.
More Chicken Recipes:
- Oven-Baked Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Easy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs in just 35 minutes!
- Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- Easy Chicken Barley Soup
- Chicken Divan Casserole
- Old Fashioned Chicken and Noodles
- Cranberry Chicken Salad with Pecans for Sandwiches
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Cream Sauce
FOR THE ENCHILADAS:
- 8 soft taco size flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese divided
- 1 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
FOR THE GREEN CHILE CREAM SAUCE:
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chiles
- fresh cilantro chopped
- Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees Lightly grease a 9×13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
MAKE ENCHILADA FILLING:
- Mix together 1 cup of cheese, chicken, corn, and 1 can of chopped green chiles.
FILL AND ROLL ENCHILADAS:
- Stack the tortillas on a microwave-safe plate, and cook them on HIGH for 15-20 seconds to make them more pliable. Divide the chicken mixture among the tortillas.
- Roll up the tortillas and place them seam side down in the prepared 9×13 pan.
MAKE GREEN CHILE CREAM SAUCE:
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, and then stir in the flour, cumin, coriander and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cook over medium heat until the sauce has thickened.
- Whisk in the sour cream and remaining 2 cans of green chiles.
BAKE AND FINISH:
- Pour the green chile sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Bake for 10 minutes, and then sprinkle the enchiladas with the remaining cheese, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and tomatoes and serve!
This easy creamy Chicken Enchilada Recipe first appeared on Food Folks and Fun on March 1, 2011. I have since updated the pictures and recipe. A few of the original pictures are below.