THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers is a classic Italian-American comfort food dish. I’ve added my spin on it by cooking it in the crockpot! I included make ahead and freezer meal directions in this post!
Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
This Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers recipe is in one word: effortless! You dump all of the ingredients into the slow cooker insert and let it cook!
This recipe is loaded with peppers, onion, and Italian sausage! I love this recipe because you make the sauce along with the sausage and peppers. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
This crockpot Sausage and Peppers recipe is fabulous for weeknight dinners, and it’s a favorite for serving for game day, tailgating, and even potlucks!
Can you put raw sausages in a slow cooker?
Yes! Cooking the sausage raw in the crockpot with the veggies, seasonings, and sauce will produce a tasty, juicy, and tender piece of sausage that is cooked to perfection.
Can I use frozen sausages in the slow cooker?
Yes! From the freezer, add everything to the slow cooker—cook on high for 1 1/2 hours, and then on low for 6 hours.
What sides to make with sausage and peppers?
A few of my favorite side dishes to serve with this meal are:
- Boston Baked Beans
- Food Truck Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Skillet Green Beans
- Panera’s Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Homemade Coleslaw
- Crispy Baked Oven Fries
How to make Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers recipe:
STEP ONE: First, place the ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir the ingredients together.
STEP TWO: Next, add the veggies. Stir to combine.
STEP THREE: To finish, cover, and cook on low for six hours. Before serving, stir in the chopped basil.
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- large slow cooker (This is the 3rd slow cooker I’ve tried, and the last one I’ll ever buy!)
Cook’s Note – Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers:
- You can use a mix of hot, sweet, or mild Italian sausage in this recipe; use what you love! I like using a mix of hot and sweet.
- You can serve these on some nice Italian rolls or grinders, as I did. They’re also delicious served over pasta or on their own!
- If you love sausage and peppers, then you need to try my Pasta recipe!
Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers MAKE-AHEAD DIRECTIONS:
Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker insert and place it in the fridge overnight. When you’re ready to cook the sausage and peppers, place the insert on the slow cooker base, cook on high for 30 minutes, and then on low for 6 hours.
FREEZER MEAL DIRECTIONS:
Place all of the ingredients in a zip-top freezer bag. Squeeze all of the air out of the bag before sealing the top, and place it in the freezer.
These sausages and peppers will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. From the freezer, add everything to the slow cooker—cook on high for 1 1/2 hours, and then on low for 6 hours.
How much will this Sausage and Peppers in the Slow Cooker recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $12.92
PER SERVING COST: $1.62
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes – $1.64
- ¼ cup chicken broth – $0.08
- 1 teaspoon salt – $0.06
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper – $0.07
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds – $0.18
- ½ teaspoon dried basil – $0.10
- 8 Italian sausage links – $3.91
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder – $0.01
- 1 large green bell pepper – $0.58
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves – $1.96
- 1 large yellow onion – $0.62
- 8 fresh Italian sandwich rolls – $3.68
How long are these sausage and peppers good for:
SERVE: Like with all recipes involving meat, you can keep this dish at room temperature for up to two hours before it will need to be stored in the refrigerator.
STORE: You can keep the sausage and peppers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Crockpot Little Smokies
- Easy Crockpot Chili
- Crockpot Spare Ribs
- Refried Beans
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Sweet Chipotle Pork Tacos
- Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Chicken Gyro Bowls
- Beef Stew
- Crockpot Broccoli Casserole
- Kielbasa Kapusta
- Ham Chowder
- Pot Roast
- Baked Ziti
Sausage and Peppers made in a Slow Cooker!
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup Marsala wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 Italian sausage links thawed
- 1 large green bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 8 fresh Italian sandwich rolls toasted
- Place the sauce ingredients into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Add the sausage, bell peppers, and onions; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Stir in the chopped basil.
- Serve over sandwich rolls.
- I like to use a mix of sweet and hot Italian sausage, but you can use any variety you'd like.
- You can add up to 4 more sausages without having to increase the amounts of the other ingredients.
This post first appeared on FFF on October 28, 2016. I’ve since updated the pictures and added a recipe video.