The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers is a classic Italian-American comfort food dish. I’ve added my spin on it by cooking it in the crockpot! I included make-ahead and freezer meal directions in this post!
You will love these Italian Sausage and Peppers
This Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers recipe is, in one word: effortless! You dump all of the ingredients into the slow cooker insert and let it cook!
This recipe is loaded with peppers, onion, and Italian sausage! I love this recipe because you make the sauce along with the sausage and peppers. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
This crockpot Sausage and Peppers recipe is fabulous for weeknight dinners, and it’s a favorite for serving for game day, tailgating, and even potlucks!
Crockpot Sausage and Peppers ingredients
RECIPE COST: $12.92
PER SERVING COST: $1.62
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes – $1.64
- ¼ cup chicken broth – $0.08
- 1 teaspoon salt – $0.06
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper – $0.07
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds – $0.18
- ½ teaspoon dried basil – $0.10
- 8 Italian sausage links – $3.91
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder – $0.01
- 1 large green bell pepper – $0.58
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves – $1.96
- 1 large yellow onion – $0.62
- 8 fresh Italian sandwich rolls – $3.68
How to make Sausage and Peppers in Crock Pot
STEP ONE: First, place the ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir the ingredients together.
STEP TWO: Next, add the veggies. Stir to combine.
STEP THREE: To finish, cover and cook on low for six hours. Before serving, stir in the chopped basil.
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- large slow cooker (This is the 3rd slow cooker I’ve tried and the last one I’ll ever buy!)
Cook’s note – Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- You can use a mix of hot, sweet, or mild Italian sausage in this recipe; use what you love! I like using a mix of hot and sweet.
- You can serve these on some nice Italian rolls or grinders, as I did. They’re also deliciously served over pasta or on their own!
- If you love sausage and peppers, then you need to try my Pasta recipe!
What to serve with this Italian Sausage and Peppers Crock Pot Recipe
A few of my favorite side dishes to serve with this meal are:
- Boston Baked Beans
- Food Truck Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Skillet Green Beans
- Panera’s Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Homemade Coleslaw
- Crispy Baked Oven Fries
Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe: Make-ahead Directions
Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker insert and place it in the fridge overnight. When you’re ready to cook the sausage and peppers, place the insert on the slow cooker base, cook on high for 30 minutes, and then on low for 6 hours.
How to store Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers
SERVE: Like with all recipes involving meat, you can keep this dish at room temperature for up to two hours before it will need to be stored in the refrigerator.
STORE: You can keep the sausage and peppers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to make Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers as a freezer meal
Place all of the ingredients in a zip-top freezer bag. Squeeze all of the air out of the bag before sealing the top, and place it in the freezer.
These sausages and peppers will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. From the freezer, add everything to the slow cooker—cook on high for 1 1/2 hours, and then on low for 6 hours.
Italian Sausage and Peppers FAQs
Yes! Cooking the sausage raw in the crockpot with the veggies, seasonings, and sauce will produce a tasty, juicy, and tender piece of sausage that is cooked to perfection.
Yes! From the freezer, add everything to the slow cooker—cook on high for 1 1/2 hours and then on low for 6 hours.
There are a few ways to make sausage and peppers less greasy. Here are a few tips:
– Use lean sausage. Many different types of sausage are available, and some are leaner than others. Choose a sausage low in fat and calories, such as turkey or chicken sausage.
– Drain the sausage. After browning the sausage, drain off any excess grease. This will help to reduce the amount of fat in the final dish.
– Cook the peppers in a separate pan. This will help to prevent the peppers from absorbing as much grease from the sausage.
– Add a splash of water or broth to the pan. This will help to deglaze the pan and prevent the sausage from sticking.
– Cook the sausage and peppers over medium heat. This will help to prevent the sausage from rendering too much fat.
To know when sausage is cooked in a crock pot, you can check it by:
– Using a meat thermometer: Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the sausage. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
– Tasting it: Sausage is cooked when it is no longer pink and has a firm texture. You can also taste a small piece to ensure it is cooked.
– Cutting into it: If you cut into the sausage and it is no longer pink, and the juices run clear, it is cooked through.
Sausages can be cooked on low heat in a crock pot for 4-6 hours or on high heat for 2-3 hours. The cooking time will vary depending on the type and thickness of the sausage.
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Crockpot Little Smokies
- Easy Crockpot Chili
- Crockpot Spare Ribs
- Refried Beans
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Sweet Chipotle Pork Tacos
- Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Chicken Gyro Bowls
- Beef Stew
- Crockpot Broccoli Casserole
- Kielbasa Kapusta
- Ham Chowder
- Pot Roast
- Baked Ziti
More from Food Folks and Fun
- Jalapeno Popper Recipe
- Pineapple Cakes
- How to Make a Bread Bowl
- Ribs in Crock Pot
- Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Apple Cobbler with Cake Mix
- White Queso Dip
- BBQ Chicken Drumsticks in Oven
- Black Forest Cherry Cake
Italian Sausage and Peppers in Crock Pot
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup Marsala wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 Italian sausage links thawed
- 1 large green bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 8 fresh Italian sandwich rolls toasted
- Place the sauce ingredients into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Add the sausage, bell peppers, and onions; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Stir in the chopped basil.
- Serve over sandwich rolls.
- I like to use a mix of sweet and hot Italian sausage, but you can use any variety you’d like.
- You can add up to 4 more sausages without having to increase the amounts of the other ingredients.