Disclosure: This post for Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter! See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup
This Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup is the last soup that I’m sharing for #SouperJanuary. This is a fabulous soup that is made easily in the slow cooker. If you love Thai flavors (like I do), you’ll love this sweet, sour, and slightly spicy flavor combination!
Cook’s Note for Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup:
*In this recipe you’re asked to use just the bottom 5 inches of two lemongrass stalks, and to bruise them. Use the back of a large chef’s knife to bruise the entire length of the 5-inch stalk (see pictures below in the GIF).
*I used my absolute favorite slow cooker of ALL TIME to make this soup. It’s a real work horse in my kitchen, and I love it for these reasons:
1- It’s HUGE, you won’t have a problem making large recipes in this slow cooker!
2- It has a timer, and even delayed time settings.
3- I love that it automatically goes to warm once it’s done cooking.
[easyazon_block add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B001KVZTFO” cloaking=”default” layout=”left” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”foofoland-20″]
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup #SouperJanuary
- 2 medium yellow onions minced
- 6 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 14-ounce cans coconut milk
- 2 stalks lemon grass bottom 5 inches only, bruised (see pictures above)
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 Tablespoons fish sauce divided
- 10 cilantro stems tied together with twine
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 8 ounces white mushrooms; washed trimmed, and sliced thin
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- fresh cilantro leaves
- green onions sliced thin
- lime wedges
- In a medium heat-proof bowl, microwave onions, garlic, ginger, and oil. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened.
- In the slow cooker add the broth, 1 can of coconut milk, lemon grass, carrots, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, and cilantro stems. Give it a quick stir, then add the chicken to the pot, nestling it into place. Cover and cook on low until the chicken is tender, about 4-6 hours.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board, and let it cool slightly before shredding with 2 forks. Let the soup sit for 5 minutes, then remove the fat from the surface. Remove lemon grass and cilantro and discard.
- Stir in the mushrooms, cover and cook on high until mushrooms are tender, 10-15 minutes. Microwave the remaining can of coconut milk in a small bowl until warm, about 1-2 minutes. Add it to the pot along with the remaining 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and curry paste.
- Add the shredded chicken and let it heat through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve with garnishes.
Need a new stockpot?
Enter my Le Creuset GIVEAWAY! Ends 2/5
Hungry for more soup recipes?
Check out other recipes in my #SouperJanuary blog series!
Creamy Chicken Curry Soup (and my curry story)