This Birthday Cookies Recipe is made with a cake mix, buttercream frosting, sprinkles, and birthday cake chocolate kisses. They’re easy to make and a fun, festive treat.
This recipe makes 32 festive cookies for about $9.29. That’s less than $0.30 per cookie!
Everyone loves cake on their birthday, but sometimes you want something a little different. For example, whether you want to give a special treat to a friend on their birthday, or you want to send your kiddos to school with a birthday treat besides cupcakes.
When these occasions arise, I suggest making these Birthday Cookies, my Birthday Rice Krispies Treats, or my Birthday Cake Ice Cream. But, of course, you can’t go wrong with any of these Birthday treats.
You will love these cookies for the following reasons:
- First, they taste like cake (the main ingredient is a cake mix, after all!).
- Second, they’re easy to make.
- Kids love them because they’re festive and fun cookies.
- The cookies are soft and chewy.
- This recipe makes 32 cookies, so they’re perfect for school parties.
- They’re freezer-friendly.
- They’re crowned with the cutest birthday chocolate Hershey kiss!
Ingredients and Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.29
Recipe Cost: $9.29
- 15.25 oz box funfetti cake mix – $1.34
- 2 large eggs – $0.20
- ½ cup vegetable oil – $0.24
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles – $0.80
- 10 oz bag birthday cake chocolate kisses – $3.48
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter – $1.62
- 4 cups powdered sugar – $1.16
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream – $0.14
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – $0.31
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- Mix the cake mix, eggs, and vegetable oil until the cookie dough is combined.
- Add the rainbow sprinkles and mix until they’re evenly distributed.
- Scoop cookie dough, bake, and cool.
- Make the frosting, frost the cookies, and add the birthday cake chocolate kisses. Serve.
- Instead of frosting the cookies, you can place the chocolate kisses on the baked cookies. To do so, add the unwrapped chocolate kisses to the baked cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. Then, cool the cookies and the chocolate kisses completely before moving them to a container for storing.
- This Birthday Cookies Recipe is very versatile. You can use chocolate frosting, strawberry frosting, funfetti frosting, etc., in this recipe. You can also use any flavor of cake mix or chocolate kisses.
- You can make these for any holiday or special occasion by changing up the kisses, sprinkles and adding food coloring to the frosting to match the holiday.
- Instead of sprinkles, you can add chocolate or white chocolate chips to the cookie batter before baking.
- You can add different extracts as well to match the season, holiday, or occasion. For example, when adding flavored extract, use ½ teaspoon of vanilla and ½ teaspoon of almond extract, lemon extract, orange extract, or peppermint extract.
SERVE AND STORE: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
FREEZE: Frost place the cookies on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid, about 3 hours. Then, transfer the cookie to an airtight container or Ziploc bag (a container is preferred) and freeze for 2-3 months.
THAW: Place the cookies in a single layer on a serving platter. Thaw at room temperature for 2-3 hours before serving.
- Baking sheets – these are my favorites and produce perfect cookies every time.
- Silicone baking mats OR parchment paper – I always have both in my kitchen but always use silicone baking mats for cookies.
- Mixing bowls – this set of three is all you need for the kitchen. I love that they come with lids, too.
- Handheld mixer – I’ve had this mixer for at least 20 years, and it’s a real workhorse and can get pretty much any mixing job done.
- 1 ½ Tablespoon scoop – This is the perfect size scoop for cookies. It’s not too big or too small. It makes just the right-sized cookies.
- Wire rack – This rack is big enough to hold a large batch of cookies and 2 cake layers.
- Measuring cups and spoons – I like metal cups and spoons because they hold up better against wear and tear.
- 14-inch pastry bag – This size will get pretty much any decorating job done.
- 1M piping tip – This is my go-to decorating tip for 99% of cakes, cupcakes, and cookies.
More Cookie Recipe
- Best Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cake Mix Cookies – 3 Ways
- Chocolate Meringue Cookies
- Red Velvet Cookies with White Chocolate Chips
- Gingersnap Cookie Recipe
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Black and White Cookies
- Browned Butter and M&M Pretzel Cookies
- Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies with M&Ms
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
Birthday Cookies Recipe
- 15.25 oz box funfetti cake mix
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sprinkles plus more for garnish
- 10 oz bag birthday cake chocolate kisses
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
PREP OVEN AND BAKING SHEETS:
- Move the oven rack to the upper-middle and lower-middle positions. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
MAKE COOKIE DOUGH:
- Mix the cake mix, eggs, and oil in a large bowl until combined and dough forms.
- Add the sprinkles and mix well.
- Scoop cookie dough with a 1 ½ tablespoon scoop onto the prepared baking sheets.
BAKE AND COOL COOKIES:
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until slightly firm but soft, rotating the pans halfway through baking.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and place the baking sheets on wire racks.
- Cool for 5 minutes, and then place the cookies on the wire racks to cool completely for about 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter until fluffy and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a medium bowl.
- Gradually add powdered sugar to the butter, alternating with heavy cream or milk.
- Add vanilla extract and beat well.
- Once the cookies are cooled, pipe the frosting (or spread it with a knife) onto the cookies, I used a 14-inch piping bag fitted with a 1M piping tip.
- Add sprinkles and chocolate kisses. Serve.