The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Birthday Rice Krispies Treats recipe is made with loads of marshmallows, sprinkles, and frosting! They’re huge, gooey, and perfect for birthdays!
Try this Birthday Rice Krispie Treats recipe instead of cupcakes for your kid’s next birthday school treat! Birthday Rice Krispie Treats serve 24 people and cost $11.47 to make, which is just $0.48 per serving!
Are you a Rice Krispie Treats fanatic? If so, you will love my Reese’s Rice Krispie Treats, and my original BEST Rice Krispies Treats recipes. These Samoa Rice Krispie Treats and Circus Animal Cookie ones look amazing, too.
Birthday Rice Krispie Treats
Does your family have a month where a ton of birthdays, anniversaries, or other celebrations happen? Mine sure does, and it’s the month of July.
We have so many birthdays and anniversaries in July that I hate to say it, but cake gets a little boring after a while. That’s why I love this Birthday Cake Rice Krispies Treat recipe.
It’s just as festive as any cake or cupcake. Plus, it’s no-bake, and there’s no need to heat the oven during the hottest month!
This recipe isn’t your typical Rice Krispies Treat recipe. These treats are huge; I mean, super huge! They’re like three times the thickness of regular treats, but they still have that gooey marshmallow perfection!
How do you keep Rice Crispy Treats from sticking to your hands?
Making Rice Krispie treats can be a sticky job because of all the gooey goodness. Just rub your hands with a little butter before laying them flat in your dish to avoid having them stick to your hands.
How do you keep Rice Krispie Treats soft?
To keep Rice Krispie treats soft, you will need to do two things:
- NEVER put them in the refrigerator. Doing this will both harden the treats and suck a lot of the moisture out of them.
- Keep the Rice Krispies Treats in an airtight container! I like this one or this one (I own both and use each one according to how many treats I have).
PRO TIP: If you need to make Rice Krispies Treats a couple of days ahead of time, then I suggest increasing the butter in the base recipe below from 6 Tablespoons to 8 tablespoons. This will keep your treats nice and soft in the days to come. Then, slice the treats as normal, and make sure you place them in an airtight container until you’re ready to serve them!
Why do my Rice Krispie Treats Get Hard?
The #1 culprit to hard Rice Krispies Treats is HIGH heat! Sometimes it’s tempting to crank up the heat to get these treats made quickly, but resist the urge! High heat will crystalize the sugar in the marshmallows, and that will make your treats rock-solid. My recipe below uses LOW heat. Yes, it takes a bit longer, but the results are worth it!
Cook’s Note – Birthday Rice Krispies Treats:
- These Rice Krispies Treats would also be great for potlucks and bake sales because they make a TON!
- These will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for about three days. After three days, they start getting a little stale and hard.
- Make sure you use fresh marshmallows in this recipe! Skip the marshmallows that have been sitting in your pantry for a while, and skip opened bags of marshmallows. Why? Well, as marshmallows sit, they start to dry out, and they don’t melt as well as the ones in fresh, unopened bags. They sort of melt into a blob instead of becoming soft and gooey when melted. Save older/stale marshmallows for hot cocoa or s’ mores!
Cook’s Tools and ingredients:
9×13-inch pan (preferably with straight sides)
How much will this Birthday Rice Krispie Treat recipe cost to make?
RECIPE COST: $11.47
PER SERVING COST: $0.48
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
14 Tablespoons butter – $1.40
1 16-ounce package mini marshmallows – $1.96
3 7-ounce jars marshmallow fluff or creme – $2.82
2 ¼ teaspoons pure vanilla extract – $0.70
15 cups Rice Krispies cereal – $2.73
½ cup rainbow jimmies – $1.62
1 cup confectioners’ sugar – $0.23
½ Tablespoon cream or milk – $0.01
More No-Bake Desserts:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Gingerbread Oreo Truffles
- Leprechaun Bait Chex Mix
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Dip
- Old Fashioned Fudge
- Peppermint Cheesecake Dip
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Fruit Spangled Cheesecake Dip
- Peanut Butter Frosting
- Lemon Cream Pie Cheesecake Dip
- Loaded Lucky Charms Treats
- Dark Chocolate Chocolate Ice Cream
Birthday Rice Crispy Treats Recipe
Rice Krispy Treats:
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1 16-ounce package mini marshmallows
- 3 7 ounce jars marshmallow fluff or creme
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 15 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup rainbow jimmies + more for garnish
- 8 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ Tablespoon cream or milk
- Pinch salt
- Line 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges. Lightly spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a very large pot or Dutch oven melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows; stir constantly and cook until melted. Remove pot from heat and stir in marshmallow fluff and vanilla. Gently stir in Rice Krispies and jimmies until cereal is evenly coated. Pour mixture into prepared pan and use wax paper over the top to press mixture firmly into pan. Let treats cool for at least 1 hour before frosting.
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
- Using a stand mixer beat butter on medium-high speed until smooth, about 30-60 seconds. Reduce speed to medium-low and slowly add confectioners’ sugar, and beat until smooth, about 2-5 minutes. Add vanilla, cream, and salt and increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4-8 minutes.
- Spread buttercream evenly over treats (I like using a small offset spatula). Garnish with rainbow jimmies. Using foil liner, lift treats from pan. Cut into 24 bars and serve.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Antoinette M says
AWESOME RECIPE. WE LOVE RICE KRISPIE TREATS!
Jessica Formicola says
Sprinkles make everything more fun, and these rice krispies treats are no exception! What a great idea!
Nellie Tracy says
These are so fun and delicious! I have a daughter who will LOVE having these at her birthday party!