My all-time favorite cornbread recipe gets an update with the addition of sharp cheddar cheese and chopped green chiles. This Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread is the perfect cornbread for early fall and green chile season!
Green chile season is here – woot, woot! At my house green chile is basically green gold; I love the stuff and can’t get enough! I went to college in New Mexico (the green chile capitol of the world). I loved it so much that I stayed for a few years after graduation to teach, and those few years was all it took for me to fall involve with The Land of Enchantment and GREEN CHILE!!!
Yesterday I shared my recipe for Quick & Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup that had green chile in it. This recipe for Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread would be stellar served alongside it.
Cook’s Note – Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread:
- This green chile cornbread will keep, in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 2 days.
- Feel free to use whatever chile heat you prefer. Because I have small children I opt for mild green chile, but if it was just my husband and I eating this green chile cornbread I got for the hot stuff!
Cook’s Tools & Ingredients – Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread:
- large bowl
- large liquid measuring cup
- 8-inch square pan
- wire rack
- arrowhead cornmeal (This is my favorite brand of cornmeal.)
- chopped green chiles (This is the only green chile brand that I buy.)
ONE YEAR AGO: Homemade Cracker Jacks
TWO YEARS AGO: Snickers Cupcakes
THREE YEARS AGO: New York Style Pizza
Cheesy Green Chile CornbreadPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoons cold butter cut into 8 small pieces
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together dry ingredients. In large measuring cup whisk wet ingredients until combined. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined and no flour streaks remain (DO NOT OVERMIX!) Fold in green chiles and cheese.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing into an even layer. Dot batter with pieces of butter. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Move cornbread to wire rack and cool at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Round out the meal with these delicious soups:
Disclosure: This post for Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread recipe includes affiliate links. This means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter! See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.