Cornbread with cheddar cheese and chopped green chiles. This Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread is perfect for early fall and green chile season!
My all-time favorite cornbread recipe gets an update with the addition of sharp cheddar cheese and chopped green chiles. This cornbread recipe is the perfect cornbread for early fall and green chile season!
Green chile season is here – woot, woot! At my house, green chile is basically green gold. I love the stuff and can’t get enough! While attending college in New Mexico (the green chile capital of the world), I was first introduced to green chile. I loved green chile and New Mexico so much that I stayed for a few years after graduation to teach. Those few years were all it took for me to fall involve with The Land of Enchantment and GREEN CHILE!!!
Yesterday I shared my recipe for Quick & Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup that had green chile in it. This recipe for Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread would be stellarly served alongside it.
Round out the meal with these delicious soups:
- 30-Minute White Chicken Chile
- Quick & Easy Sausage and Butter Bean Soup
- Copycat Walkabout Soup
- Quick & Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
Cook’s Note – Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread:
- This cornbread will keep, in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 2 days.
- Feel free to use whatever chile heat you prefer. Because I have small children I opt for mild chiles, but if it was just my husband and me eating this cornbread I got for the hot stuff!
- Try using buttermilk instead of milk to give the cornbread a subtle tang.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Cook’s Tools & Ingredients:
- large bowl
- large liquid measuring cup
- 8-inch square pan
- wire rack
- arrowhead cornmeal (This is my favorite brand of cornmeal.)
- chopped green chiles (This is the only green chile brand that I buy.)
ONE YEAR AGO: Homemade Cracker Jacks
TWO YEARS AGO: Snickers Cupcakes
THREE YEARS AGO: New York Style Pizza
Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- ⅓ cup milk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon cold butter cut into 8 small pieces
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together dry ingredients. In large measuring cup whisk wet ingredients until combined. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined and no flour streaks remain (DO NOT OVERMIX!) Fold in green chiles and cheese.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing into an even layer. Dot batter with pieces of butter. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Move cornbread to wire rack and cool at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Latest posts by Jillian (see all)
- How to Reheat Quiche Tutorial - August 17, 2019
- Easy Broccoli Quiche Recipe – less than $5.00 to make! - August 17, 2019
- Easy Ham and Cheese Quiche Recipe - August 16, 2019