These Pumpkin Churro waffles are simply THE best! They’re crisp on the outside and almost soufflé-like on the inside. This is due to 2 things: the buttermilk and the whipped, frothy eggs!
As if pumpkin waffles weren’t ah-mazing on their own (and trust me, they certainly are), I decided to give them a churro coating and drizzle them with a spiced cream cheese glaze. You can serve these Pumpkin Churro Waffles for fall brunch, Thanksgiving morning, Christmas morning, or even breakfast for dinner!
When making these churro waffles, I decided to mix up the sugar coating in a Hefty® Slider Gallon Storage Bag. This made cleanup a breeze! Also, by putting the waffles inside the bag and shaking the bag thoroughly, it coated each waffle in the sugar mixture, just like a churro. I didn’t have to worry about the bag popping open, because Hefty® Slider Bags are strong thanks to the MaxLock® track design.
You can grab all of the ingredients for this Pumpkin Churro Waffles recipe, including the Hefty® Slider Bags, at your local Walmart. Look for them on the paper products aisles. And guess what? Hefty® Slider Bags cost less than Ziploc® Slider Bags, when comparing the same type of bag (freezer/storage) and size (quart/gallon) of the closest price point. Before you head out to the store, download the Ibotta app. With the app you can earn a $1.00 rebate by buying 3 packages of Hefty® Slider Bags!
Cook’s Note – Pumpkin Churro Waffles:
- In the recipe below I say “Add appropriate amount of batter to waffle iron, and spread quickly.” I do not specify an amount because each waffle iron is different. Use the amount that’s best for your waffle iron.
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, uses my buttermilk substitute recipe!
Check out the Hefty® Hints website for more inspiration on how to use these slider bags!
Pumpkin Churro Waffles with Spiced Cream Cheese Glaze
- SUGAR MIXTURE:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- SPICED CREAM CHEESE GLAZE:
- 4 ounces 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- PUMPKIN WAFFLES:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 6 Tablespoons melted butter
- nonstick cooking spray
- PREPARE PAN AND OVEN: Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Place foil-lined wire rack over cookie sheet, and place cookie sheet in oven.
- MAKE SUGAR MIXTURE: In Hefty Slider Gallon Storage Bag add sugars and pumpkin pie spice. Shake until combined, set aside.
- MAKE SPICED CREAM CHEESE GLAZE: In bowl of stand mixer beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon and beat until smooth. Use additional milk to thin glaze to desired consistency. Set aside.
- MAKE PUMPKIN WAFFLES BATTER: In medium bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In bowl of stand mixer beat eggs on medium speed until frothy and pale in color, about 4-5 minutes. Add buttermilk, milk, pumpkin, and butter and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1-2 minute. Add dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined and no flour clumps remain, about 1-2 minutes.
- MAKE PUMPKIN WAFFLES: Lightly spray waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Add appropriate amount of batter to waffle iron, and spread quickly. Close waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place waffle on prepared baking sheet in oven, and repeat with remaining batter.
- FINISH: Working quickly, place 1 waffle at a time in Hefty® Slider Bag with sugar mixture, and shake until evenly coated. Repeat with remaining waffles. Drizzle waffles with spiced cream cheese glaze, and serve immediately.
Latest posts by Jillian (see all)
- How to Reheat Quiche Tutorial - August 17, 2019
- Easy Broccoli Quiche Recipe – less than $5.00 to make! - August 17, 2019
- Easy Ham and Cheese Quiche Recipe - August 16, 2019