Comfort Food Alert: This Creamy Cauliflower Soup recipe is savory, cheesy, and filled with tender chunks of cauliflower plus all of the comforts of a home-cooked meal!
There’s something about this Creamy Cauliflower Soup recipe where big, tender chinks of cauliflower are looking up at you from the bowl below that makes me happy. I LOVE soup and I LOVE cauliflower! I enjoy its mild flavor and I love that it’s packed with vitamin C, B-6 vitamins, and other essential nutrients.
This is great cauliflower soup recipe to serve during weeknights, weekends, and even entertaining!
Cook’s Note – Creamy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- You can double this recipe. Just make sure you use a REALLY big soup pot or dutch oven!
- Leftover cauliflower soup can be stored, covered in the refrigerator for ups to 4 days.
- For a vegetarian cauliflower soup recipe use vegetable stock or broth instead of chicken stock.
- I like to serve this soup with cornbread or cheddar biscuits.
Cook’s Tools and Ingredients – Creamy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- Dutch oven OR soup pot
- Medium saucepan
- Pepper mill
- Soup ladle (my kids love this super fun ladle)
- Bay leaf
ONE YEAR AGO: Birthday Cake Ice Cream
TWO YEARS AGO: Pumpkin Sheet Cake
THREE YEARS AGO: Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 3 ½ cups chopped cauliflower crowns (about 1-2 inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- WHITE SAUCE:
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups milk (any kind but skim)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- FOR SERVING:
- minced chives
- shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- FOR SOUP: In large Dutch oven or soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and celery and sauté, stirring often, until onions are translucent and beginning to brown on edges, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine. Cover pot, reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes. Uncover an add chicken stock and bay leaf. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, and cover.
- FOR WHITE SAUCE: In meantime in medium saucepan over medium-high heat melt butter. Add flour and stir constantly to combine. Continue to stir until mixture turns light brown, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in milk while whisking constantly; continue to whisk until large flour chunks are broken up. Bring mixture to simmer and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- TO FINISH: Pour white sauce into cauliflower soup mixture, and increase heat to medium. Bring to a simmer, and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste. Turn off heat, remove bay leaf, add cheese, and stir until melted.
- TO SERVE: Ladle soup into bowls. Season with salt and pepper, and top with chives and additional shredded cheese. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post for Creamy Cauliflower Soup recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter! See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.