The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Make creamy cucumber salad for a refreshing, light, easy-to-prepare dish perfect for hot summer days. You’ll love the crunch and creaminess!
This recipe costs approximately $5.42 to make. The recipe makes ten servings for about $0.54 per serving.
Cucumber Radish Salad
This creamy cucumber salad is my grandma’s recipe that has been passed down over the year. My family has been making it for decades, and folks always ask for the recipe.
Cucumber Radish Salad perfectly balances the creamy dressing and the crispness of the cucumbers. It creates a combination that adds the most satisfying crunch to each bite.
Here’s Why You’ll Love Creamy Cucumber Salad:
- Refreshing and Light: Creamy cucumber salad is perfect for hot summer days when you crave something light and refreshing.
- Nutritional Benefits: Cucumbers are low in calories and high in water content, making them a hydrating and nutritious choice. They also contain vitamins and minerals such as vitamins K, C, potassium, and magnesium.
- Easy to Prepare: This salad is quick and easy to make, requiring minimal cooking or preparation time. It’s a great option for a simple side dish or a light meal, especially when you’re short on time or don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen.
- Crowd Pleaser: Cucumber Sour Cream Salad is popular for potlucks, picnics, and barbecues. Its mild and refreshing flavors appeal to a wide range of palates, making it a crowd-pleasing dish that can complement different main courses.
Cucumber Radish Salad Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.54
Recipe Cost: $5.42
- ¾ cup sour cream – $0.74
- 3 Tablespoons white vinegar – $0.18
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar – $0.03
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill – $0.66
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper – $0.20
- 4 medium cucumbers – $1.92
- 1 small yellow onion – $0.70
- 1 cup radishes – $0.99
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the pricing for this recipe in June 2023.
How To Make Cucumber Salad
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, whisk together the sour cream, vinegar, sugar, dill, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Then, combine the cucumbers, onion, and radishes in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the top and toss the ingredients together.
- Finally, season with pepper to taste and cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Greek Yogurt Substitute: If you prefer a healthier alternative to sour cream, you can substitute it with an equal amount of Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt adds a creamy texture and tangy flavor while reducing the overall fat content of the salad.
- Lemon Juice instead of Vinegar: If you don’t have white vinegar on hand or prefer a different flavor profile, you can replace it with fresh lemon juice. Lemon juice adds a bright and citrusy note to the salad dressing.
- Herb Substitutions: While dill is a classic herb choice for cucumber salad, you can experiment with other fresh herbs for a different flavor profile. Consider using chives, mint, parsley, or cilantro.
- Onion Variations: Instead of a small yellow onion, you can use red onion for a slightly stronger flavor or green onions (scallions) for a milder taste.
- Vegetable Additions: Add cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, or thinly sliced carrots to introduce different textures and colors to the salad.
- Sweetener Options: If you prefer a healthier sweetener or want to reduce the sugar content, substitute the granulated sugar with honey, maple syrup, or a natural sweetener like stevia.
- Greek Twist: For a Greek twist on this recipe, use a combination of parsley and dill. Also, add kalamata olives, red onion, tomatoes, and feta.
Storage and Serving Tips
Serving Suggestions: Creamy cucumber salad can be served as a side dish alongside grilled meats and sandwiches. It’s also great as a refreshing salad for picnics, barbecues, or potlucks.
Storage: This salad is best served fresh, but if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The salad will stay fresh for up to 24 hours. However, keep in mind that the cucumbers will release water. You will need to pour off the excess water before gently stirring the salad to redistribute the dressing.
Freeze: This recipe does not freeze and defrost well, so I do not recommend you freeze it.
Customize Servings: Adjust the quantities of ingredients based on the number of servings you need. This recipe can be easily scaled up or down to accommodate different group sizes.
Creamy Cucumber Salad FAQs
How do you make creamy cucumber salad?
Creamy Cucumber Salad is so easy to make! You whisk together the dressing and thinly slice the veggies with a mandoline. Finally, toss the vegetables with the dressing and serve!
How long can you keep cucumber salad?
Unfortunately, creamy cucumber salad is one dish that does not keep well. You can keep it for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. This is because moisture is released from the sliced cucumbers as the salad sits.
How do you keep cucumbers from getting soggy in a salad?
If you find the cucumbers are getting soggy, try salting the cucumber slices for an hour. Then, lightly rinse and pat dry the cucumber before adding them to the salad. This helps release some of the moisture from the cucumbers and helps them stay crisp.
More Side Dishes
- Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad
- Poppy Seed Pasta Salad
- Grilled Corn Salad
- French Carrot Salad
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Gluten-Free Pasta Salad
- Grape Salad
- Tri-Color Pasta Salad
- Frog Eye Salad
- Grilled Pineapple
- BLT Pasta Salad
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper plus more to taste
- 4 medium cucumbers sliced thin (about 6 cups)
- 1 small yellow onion halved and then sliced thin
- 1 cup radishes trimmed and sliced thin
MAKE THE CREAMY DRESSING:
- Whisk together the sour cream, vinegar, sugar, dill, and pepper in a small bowl.
MAKE THE SALAD:
- Place the cucumbers, onion, and radishes in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the top and toss to coat evenly.
- Season with pepper to taste and serve or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.