The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Indulge in the refreshing flavors of a classic French Carrot Salad. This recipe features crisp and colorful carrots, tossed in a zesty vinaigrette and fresh herbs. Perfect as a side dish or light lunch, this salad is a delicious and healthy way to add a touch of Parisian flair to your table.
It costs about $3.96 to make this salad. The recipe makes four servings for approximately $0.99 per serving.
This recipe for French Carrot Salad is a variation of a well-known French dish. This type of salad, made with grated carrots, can usually be found in many French bistros and bakeries. The salad has a delightful mix of naturally sweet carrots, zesty lemon dressing, and fresh parsley.
You can make this delicious side dish ahead of time. Making it ahead of time allows the carrots to soak up the yummy dressing.
I love how simple this recipe is to make. It’s a great option for a busy night or when you need the extra stove-top and oven space on Easter, Christmas, or other big events. After making this salad, you may find that it is your new favorite way to eat carrots!
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.99
Recipe Cost: $3.96
- 6 large carrots – $0.84
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil – $0.44
- ¼ cup pine nuts – $2.30
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice – $0.08
- 1 Tablespoon grainy mustard – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar – $0.01
- ¼ cup parsley – $0.22
- 2 green onions – $0.04
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the pricing for this recipe in March 2023.
How To Make Fresh Carrot Salad
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, mix three tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, and mustard in a small bowl.
- Then, wash, peel, and finely grate the carrots. Set the carrots in a large bowl.
- Next, add the pine nuts to a saucepan with one tablespoon of olive oil over low heat.
- Cook the pine nuts for about five minutes.
- Then, mix together pine nuts and parsley to the carrots and pour the dressing over the carrots.
- Finally, chill in the fridge for at least one hour before serving cold.
- Add in some chives or green onions for a subtle kick.
- Use Maple syrup or honey instead of sugar.
- To make the carrot salad more filling, add one can of chickpeas for protein.
- Use Lime juice or red wine vinegar instead of lemon juice.
- Use Dijon mustard instead of grainy mustard.
MAKE AHEAD: To make this salad ahead of time, put the dressing in a separate container. This will prevent your carrot salad from getting soggy.
SERVE: Serve chilled. You can keep this salad out for about two hours before it needs to be covered and stored.
STORE: Cover the salad with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for up to 4 days.
FREEZE: This recipe does not freeze and defrost well so I do not recommend freezing it.
This refreshing carrot salad is a fabulous side dish for chicken, fish, or your protein of choice. Additionally, pairs well with a sandwich for a lovely picnic-style lunch.
It has a tender texture, with some crunch from the carrots. It’s essential to finely grate the carrots to avoid an overly crunchy salad.
Each bite of this salad is refreshing and complex. There is a mix of sweetness from the carrots and tanginess from the lemon juice.
More Easter Recipes
- Baked Potato Salad
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Prime Rib
- Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
- Steamed Eggs
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Grape Salad
- Egg Salad Recipe With Dill
- Raspberry Pretzel Salad
French Carrot Salad
- 4 cups of grated carrots about 6 larges carrots
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 green onions chopped (green parts only)
- Mix 3 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, and mustard in a small bowl.
- Wash, peel, and finely grate the carrots. Place the grated carrots in a large bowl.
- Add the pine nuts to a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil over low heat.
- Cook them for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Add the pine nuts and parsley to the shredded carrots.
- Pour the dressing over the carrots and mix to combine.
CHILL AND SERVE:
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Serve cold.
- Don’t leave the stove when toasting the pine nuts. They burn easily, so keep an eye on them while cooking.
- Don’t skip chilling the salad. This will make the flavors pop much more.
- For a hint of sweetness, you can add in some raisins.
- Make sure to grate the carrots finely. If they are grated too big, then the texture will not come out right. Use a julienne peeler, the large holes of a box grater, or the gratings setting on a food processor to get the best texture.
- Give the carrots a taste before adding the dressing. If they are very sweet, you may want to use less sugar in the dressing.