Frog Eye Salad
I had frog eye salad for the first time at a luncheon before my sister’s wedding in Utah. I’m not going to lie, I was a little hesitant to try it because of its name. Lucky for me I put a little on my plate to try and ever since I’ve been hooked!
Frog eye salad is made with acini di pepe pasta which are little balls of pasta. This is where the salad gets its name. The pasta is mixed with homemade pineapple custard, whipped cream, pineapple, mandarin oranges, marshmallows, and coconut.
Why is it called frog eye salad?
The Acini di Pepe pasta in the salad, which is small and round, literally looks like frog’s eyes when mixed in with the other ingredients. So the name of the salad, while not literal, is a funny play on how the salad looks.
What is frog eye salad made of?
Frog eye salad is a delicious mixture of pasta, pineapple, coconut, marshmallows, a creamy custard and whipped cream. You can then garnish it with toppings such as cherries, mandarin oranges and whipped cream.
What is a substitute for acini di pepe pasta?
You can try substituting orzo for Acini di Pepe pasta. Orzo is a small rice-sized pasta so it’s similar. I have not personally used it as a substitute in this recipe but I have read online from others who have had success with it. Let me know if you try it!
How to make Frog Eye Salad:
- First, cook pasta and place it in large Tupperware to cool.
- Next, make the pineapple custard and let it cool.
- Then, add the custard to the pasta and mix it together. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Next, make the fluff.
- Fold in the fluff, drained fruit, marshmallows, and coconut to the pasta and custard.
- Finally, garnish with desired toppings and serve.
How much will this Frog Eye Salad recipe cost to make?
RECIPE COST: $9.58
PER SERVING COST: $0.80
NOTE: The recipe prices are used calculating name brand products from Walmart’s website. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what your pantry is already stocked with and current grocery prices.
- 16 ounces acini di pepe pasta $1.48
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar $0.22
- 2 Tablespoons flour $0.04
- 1 large egg, beaten $0.10
- 1 large egg yolk $0.05
- 1/4 teaspoon salt $0.01
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice $0.02
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream $1.94
- 1 cup marshmallow creme $0.66
- 20 oz can pineapple tidbits $1.48
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple $1.48
- 15 oz can Mandarin oranges $1.25
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows $0.44
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut $0.41
What to serve with Frog Eye Salad:
- Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Christmas Ham with Cherry Glaze
- Crockpot Spare Ribs
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Teriyaki
- Hawaiian Chicken
- Lemon Chicken
More Easy Side Dishes:
- Buttery Smoked Corn on the Cob
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Food Truck Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad
Frog Eye Salad
- 16 ounces acini di pepe pasta
- 2 ½ cups pineapple use the drained juice from the pineapple chunks and crushed pineapple
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 large egg yolk beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
FRUIT AND FLUFF:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 20 ounce can pineapple tidbits drained (juice is used earlier in recipe)
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple drained (juice used earlier in recipe)
- 15 ounce can mandarin oranges drained
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
GARNISHES (all optional):
- Additional whipped cream
- Additional mandarin slices
- Maraschino cherries
COOK AND COOL PASTA:
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Then drain pasta rinse under cold water. Place pasta in a large Tupperware to cool.
MAKE AND COOL PINEAPPLE CUSTARD:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat whisk together pineapple juice, sugar, flour, egg, egg yolk, and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil while whisking every minute. Continue to cook until it has thickened, about another 1-2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, stir in the lemon juice, and allow it to cool.
- Once the pasta and custard have cooled, add the custard to the pasta and stir to combine. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but overnight is better.
ADD IN FRUIT AND FLUFF:
- Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Add marshmallow creme and beat on medium speed until incorporated about 30 seconds.
- Transfer pasta mixture to a large serving bowl. Fold in whipped cream mixture, drained fruit, marshmallows, and coconut.
GARNISH AND SERVE:
- Garnish with piped whipped cream, mandarin slices, and maraschino cherries (all optional). Serve or chill until ready to serve.