THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This Watergate salad is a fluffy and creamy pistachio salad that is easy to whip up and tastes even better the second day! It’s perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or anytime you’re craving a pistachio dessert!
This Watergate Salad recipe is always a hit at family celebrations and holidays. It’s dreamy, creamy, and always a crowd pleaser. This Pistachio Salad is a favorite for 2 reasons:
- It’s incredibly simple to make.
- It’s perfect for literally every single holiday or get-together no matter the time of year! That’s right, this salad makes its way onto my Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas table.
Pistachio is one of my favorite flavors when it comes to desserts. Here are some pistachio desserts from other bloggers that have caught my eye: Pistachio Eclair Cake, Pistachio Pudding Cookies, Pistachio Cake, and Pistachio Ice Cream.
Cook’s Note – Watergate Salad:
- You can whip 2 cups of heavy whipping cream to use in this recipe instead of Cool Whip. Just note that you can only make this salad up to 24 hours in advance. This is so because the whipping cream is not s stable as Cool Whip.
- You can even use this Watergate Salad recipe as frosting! Just exclude the mini marshmallows and you’re good to go!
- Instead of pecans, you can use chopped unsalted pistachios or chopped walnuts.
- Sometimes I like to add 2 small cans of drained Mandarin orange into this salad, too. I especially like doing this for Christmas.
- For the holidays I like to punch up the green color of this salad by adding 1-2 drops of green food coloring during step 2 of the recipe below.
Disclosure: This Pistachio Salad recipe includes affiliate links.
Cook’s Tools – Pistachio Pudding Salad:
ONE YEAR AGO: Hot Pimento Cheese Dip
TWO YEARS AGO: 20-Minute Tortellini Soup
THREE YEARS AGO: Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple in juice
- 3.4 oz box instant pistachio pudding
- 2 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup pecans chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 8 ounces Cool Whip thawed
- Cool Whip
- maraschino cherries drained
- chopped pecans
- Place a medium fine mesh strainer over a large measuring cup. Drain the pineapple and reserve the crushed pineapple in the strainer until ready to use.
- In a large bowl add the pudding mix.
- Stir in the pineapple juice until combined.
- Add the crushed pineapple, marshmallows, pecans, and coconut.
- Mix until combined and all of the marshmallows are coated in the pudding mixture.
- Fold in the Cool Whip.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.
- Spoon the salad into serving dishes and garnish with cool whip, maraschino cherries, and pecans.